Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Which tricks next?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Which tricks next?

Postby cml » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:52 pm

I feel like Ive gotten stuck in my tracks, and do a routine where Im not teaching the birds new tricks, but have instead work on other stuff. I think its time to up the game and start challenging them again.

Stitch knows:
Wave
Turn around
Wings
Fetch (with a plastic coin)
Shake
Dance (head bobbing up and down)
Target
Tunnel
Fly to a location I point at
Recall (even if I dont really count that as a trick)

He used to know Flip, but its really hard to practice in the bird room so he forgot it, he also destroyed a deck of cards ^^.

I might be forgetting some trick, but I think thats about it. Ive been thinking on either expanding on fetch, maybe stacking a few plastic rings onto a collecting piece, its a bird toy my wife bought a while back which has potential for trick training I think. I'm not sure though, and a suggestion here would be great!
I dont want to do Bat, or Play dead, as we are working on grabbing still (can lift him up and carry him between places now :))

With Leroy I'm currently working on Fetch, which he used to know, but then decided to hate and instead attack the prop and bowl ^^. Its going great though, with a great training session earlier today.

He has a rather more limited repertoire than Stitch, and knows:
Wave
Turn around
Target
Dance (head bobbing up and down)

What should come after Fetch for Leroy? Same as with Stitch, no Bat or Play dead. Leroy I still cant lift up :(, no matter if I practice with him daily. He accepts a hand over his back, I can even sometimes grab him, but as soon as he gets a wind of what I intend, he flies off. We've been at a stand still for what feels like ages (many months anyway).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Which tricks next?

Postby Wayne361 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

There are so many variations of "fetch" that you can incorporate into new tricks. I got oscar fetching from perches, floors, tables etc. Then type of fetch, meaning to me, another perch, basket-ball net etc. Work with new scenarios/objects and this should keep the learning process going and things wont get boring.
Another thing is have you started "chaining" tricks together to create a whole series of tricks into one "performance"? This itself will open up a whole new chapter in trick training and should never get stuck on training again.

Hope this helps,

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby cml » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks wayne!

Stitch already knows fetch from different locations etc, I can give him the coin anywhere, then put the shot glass anywhere and he will put the coin there 100% of the time.

I decided to work on a variant on fetch, "Go shopping" I got a few props like a bucket of ice cream, a shopping basket and a few veggies (but he destroyed most of it playing when he was a baby). Will keep you all updated with our progress.

Leroy is doing great with Fetch :), progress report soon!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Basketball, Bowling, and Darts! Buy all 3 from me and I'll throw in the Treasure Chest for free!

:mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training