Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shocking

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Shocking

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't think dominance is necessary. Now, I communicate with my Grey in certain ways she communicates with me (she "rebukes" me with a hiss sound... usually for not paying enough attention to her while she's on my shoulder, I've read this can be a Grey thing) and I will do the hiss sound back. But biting is something I don't want to encourage, and biting back -- strange as it may sound -- I think could encourage more biting.

But our parrots are companion parrots, and is dominance really the way to go? I agree with Marie that there's other ways.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:08 pm

This could be interesting topic to explore or perhaps a total waste of time. Regardless of that it has put a couple of pictures in my head. One of them , I won't go into but the other holds my interest a bit.

I have a lot of experience with non avian creatures and have been doing a lot of research into parrots and their behavior. It occurs to me that while biting can be a form of dominance it does not have to be, and often is not dominance but affection. Consider that the act of preening your partner is in the avian world accomplished through the careful and considerate act of biting. I submit that non aggressive biting forms a larger part of their personal communication than we are currently aware of. Remember that to a bird a beak is also a hand, and holding hands with a beak is actually a considerate form of biting.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Tman007 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:44 pm

I would have to agree with Wolf. Because my two will grab my hand and stick out their tongues like they touching me softly. They also bite to communicate , to let you know of danger, to let you know that they are upset. I don't believe in the dominance thing with parrots, they may bite and scream to keep another parrot away from their mate, or food but to say I am the ruler, no. They live in a flock and to me they have a mate but they are still part of the flock they have their space and everyone else has theirs. they look for food together water together and were they are going to sleep together. You never see one parrot in charge. If one see danger they communicate to the rest of the flock to let them know. but it could be a different parrot each time for each thing wither it's were the food is water and so on.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby hannah50942 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:24 pm

i would never bite a bird. i can understant if the wild oned do that, they must be use to it but a pet it'll lose trust in you
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training