Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Trick training.

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Trick training.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:23 am

:lol: Not all parrots would wave back at you even if you spend the rest of your life doing it to them. But that's not here nor there because if the bird does the 'trick' by itself, it's fine. It's the insisting on having the bird do the useless trick which is not good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Parajita I agree with most of what you said. to many times I have seen were people get the parrot and two days later they want them doing tricks. I think that they need to spend time with them getting them use to stepping up and being handled. And just enjoying being loved by someone. My parrots get loved on all the time. I have days were I just hang with them. I have one on one hand the other is on the other hand. And I will feed them treats and I eat with them. But it's funny I have to tell you I will put one on the perch I use for training. the other goes over to the play tree. And when I pick up the stick and clicker, they are ready if Amos is on the perch first and he see me pick up the clicker he will start to wavy or turn around on the perch. I also work with them to do things like letting me touch their feet and look at their wings. As for the poster you need to work with them on targeting first so they know what the clicker means treats and then work on a easy trick first. Once they get the hang of the first trick, then move to another one. Now you have two to go back and forth with. But also don't be in a big rush for them to get it, it may take a few weeks. And just spend time with them and love on them and let them hang out with you. I don't train every day I will take a day just for fun, no training. I give Amos a little ball that has a bell in it and he will throw it off the table I have a six of these balls and he just loves to throw them around. and when we are done I put them back in his cage and at times I hear the bells and know he is playing with them. Andy likes to lay in the palm of my hand, he will hold on to my thumb and lay back in my palm and be that way for as long as I let him or he has to poop. LOL
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Harpmaker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Corsair thinks trick training is a game we play where she gets to eat walnut pieces. She flies over to the training perch when she wants to play. My job is to figure out how to explain what I want her to do.

I had a terrible time getting her to "fetch" something. I'd hand her a ball, or a coin, or a toy and she'd drop it. Maybe it would go in a receptacle, maybe not. (One of the cats would wait under the perch to chase a ball that missed. Sometimes Corsair would try to poop on the cat). Then one day, I told Corsair to put a ball in my hand. Suddenly it clicked in her head. She would hunt down balls anywhere the cats don't go, pick them up, and fly them to me. Oddly, she will climb over my hand to face from what her birdy brain says is the correct direction to deposit in my hand. If my hand is not available, a basketball net works. Still working on coin in the slot, though.

If she doesn't like the game she flies away.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby marie83 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: Not all parrots would wave back at you even if you spend the rest of your life doing it to them. But that's not here nor there because if the bird does the 'trick' by itself, it's fine. It's the insisting on having the bird do the useless trick which is not good.

I dont think you can insist, if a well fed bird,well looked after bird doesnt want to do something it wont.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby tomanyales » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:18 pm

The parrots don't know a useless from a useful trick but they do have their favorites. I agree that build trust is #1 but I was given a parrot that would not leave her one spot in the back of the cage. I end up using target and treats just to get her to come out. One thing lead to another and she now steps up most time, starting to flight recall but her favorite is just to turn around. The best part is the trust she now has and how close we became. She refuses to wave and it was drop after a couple tries. I don't think there is any harm in trick training as long as the bird is opened to it. With out it I don't know what I would of done and now its just a small part of day.
tomanyales
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Jardine

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:06 pm

I think they are smarter than you give them credit for. I think they do know when a trick is useless but, as long as they are motivated by the 'reward' they will do it because getting the reward IS what is useful about it - like Harpmaker said, getting the piece of walnut is what the 'game' is all about. Personally, I've had parrots for 22 years and counting and I've never taught any of a my birds a single trick and this is not because I would not be willing or take the time to do the training because I certainly would if it was necessary but neither I nor them have any need for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training