Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

This is awesome!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

This is awesome!

Postby Cuervo's mama » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:03 pm

I've been doing tentative training with Cuervo since I got him. Hand taming, getting him used to me handling him, loading the clicker,etc. I'm bringing him into work for an event coming up so I decided it was time to start some real training. Especially because I need to be able to get a harness on him to take him with me. We had our first session today and I am amazed! I knew clicker training worked but I had no idea it was this fast! It's always worked well in my dog training but this is a speed of learning I've never seen before. He's already coming on command (need to tweak our landings so I don't get talons in my scalp but he's got the concept) and we're adding distance to "go to perch". I was worried I wouldn't have any cool tricks to show the kids but now I'm sure I will! What are some tricks that are easy/quick to teach but enough to do a small show?
Cuervo's mama
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: This is awesome!

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Dunno why that's surprising, parrots have been demonstrated to be significantly more intelligent than dogs in comparative psychology analysis. :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cuervo's mama » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Michael wrote:Dunno why that's surprising, parrots have been demonstrated to be significantly more intelligent than dogs in comparative psychology analysis. :lol:

Oh definitely. And I expected a higher level of intelligence but I didn't expect to make that much progress in the first session. If there's one thing you learn early as a trainer of any animal it's that reasonable expectations pay off. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. :)
Cuervo's mama
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:18 am

Be careful with stressing out a baby. It has been found in studies that birds that are stressed out as babies remain nervous and high-strung all their lives. Your bird might look like an adult but it's not.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Well Cuervo's mama, I have a jenday conure ( Amos) After the basic stuff when I started to target train him was to target, then I to turn on the perch (do a 360d on the perch). It was funny because after that I taught him to wave in just two small sessions. Now I have to try and get him to keep his foot down LOL. He will wave but won't put his foot down even while he is eating his treat. What is amazing is that once the get the concept of what you want you can really see them thinking things through. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby hannah50942 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 pm

have you got any idea how to teach you a parrot to dance to a song? cause i have no idea :greycockatiel:
HGTindall
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am

Put the song on and dance to the song in front of the bird. Make sure that you focus the birds attention on you often while you are dancing to the music. Repeat it enough and the bird will start picking it up.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:39 am

As usual Wolf is right.
Flapping my arms, twisting my neck and wiggling is good exercise. At first Rachel thought I had lost it.
Myrtle has not caught on to the words but she is doing her baby blabber to the music.
Rambo thinks I have flipped.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 am

As usual Wolf is right.
Flapping my arms, twisting my neck and wiggling is good exercise. At first Rachel thought I had lost it.
Myrtle has not caught on to the words but she is doing her baby blabber to the music.
Rambo thinks I have flipped.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:29 am

Best way to teach them how to dance is to put on a song with a marked beat to it and bop your upper body up and down while you clap to the rhythm. They start imitating this movement almost immediately. But not everybirdy is a Snowball, same as not every man is a Fred Astaire-LOL
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training