Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to teach a cockatiel to do tricks

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

how to teach a cockatiel to do tricks

Postby hannah50942 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 am

here are some simple tricks to teach you tiel and how to teach them
1. summersult

tiels always do summersults in the wild. get your tiel on you finger and wait till he/she does a summersult. at the same time say summersult then click the clicker (if you don't have a clicker use a pen clicker or your tongue) Once you have clicked it give him/her a treat. do that over and over again until you can do it without the clicker, pen or tongue. if you want you can add actions so you don't have to say it. :gray:

2. pretty wings/flex

wait till you tiel has stretched his/her wings out. click the clicker, tongue or pen and say the word then give him/her a treat. do that over again till he/she has leanrt it you could do actions as well. :cockatoo:

3. fly to arm to arm

get you tiel on one arm and put a treat on the other arm when you tile flies over there click the clicker, tongue or pen and say fly. do i again and again till he/she knows :greycockatiel:

4. sing

you can either sing yourself over and over or put on some music ( i recommend singing yourself)
then you can say what you want him/her to sing then sing it her/she will eventually learn it :macaw:

5. Wolf whistle

if you don't know how to wolf whistle get someone else to do it or you can get this CD disc on how to train you cockatile it has the wolf whistle on it. eventually he/she will get the hang of it and will not stop. :irn:

:swaying:
Last edited by hannah50942 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGTindall
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis
Flight: Yes

Re: how to teach a cockatiel to do tricks

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am

Or perhaps you could share with other people right here on the forums, after all that is what it is about.
I could easily tell people to email me and I will help them with their problems , if I were trying to build a client base. I would be helping that one person, but I prefer to use this forum as it was intended and share my knowledge for anyone and everyone who needs it, free of charge or conditions of any kind.
Yes, it can be difficult to answer here as people don't always know what information to give you for you to help them. Some of them are highly distraught and lash out blindly at you, the person trying to help them. you also have other people who will offer their way of approaching the same problem or correcting any errors that you may have in your recommendations. The last one is my favorite as it really has helped me a lot.
So please share with the people and try to help them right here as it was intended, the more the merrier.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Trick Training