Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rita performing some tricks!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Rita performing some tricks!

Postby Periquita » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Soo.. When I first saw Michael's videos I inmediatly started training my lovely Rita.
It was (very) difficult at first, until I found something she really liked and would do anything for, wich is potatoes and her favorite toy.

Well here it goes, please watch and let me know what you think! :amazon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHm1ih ... e=youtu.be

Her chest is a little white because she was changing her feathers (she's good now), at the final part you can hear her laughing as well!
Everyone likes birds. What creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world?
Periquita
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon Parrots, Orange Chinned Parakeet, Brown-throated Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Rita performing some tricks!

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Wow, that's great
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby momo79 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:02 am

Very good, compliments!!!
momo79
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Ara ararauna
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 am

How long did it take Rita to train you for these tricks?

Great job!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am

Periquita, the 'white' on her chest is not from molting, it's from plucking so please keep your eye on her because her plumage doesn't look as healthy as it should.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Periquita » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Thank you all for your comments, I'll pass them on to Rita! :amazon:
Well I started with daily sesions of 10-15min on a perch, it took about 2 weeks for her to catch on her first trick, and it was easier from that moment because she already knew how it worked! They're really smart. Then I just ask her to do them from time to time so she won't forget them.

About the plucking yes, I'm sad to say she had plucked at the time. It was because my family and I had to go on a trip for a week, leaving her and my other birds at the care of a good friend, but I'm afraid she really REALLY missed us and was kind of depressed. During the time she was alone she would try to get out of the cage and pluck her feathers. It got really bad, didn't even want to eat.. When we got back she was really really exited thou, we took her to the vet and a blood test showed she had an infection, all this due to depression (according to what the vet said).

Oh I just remembered I have a video of the moment we came home, you could see her bare skin from all the feathers she plucked.. Anyway we took care of her, gave her vitamins and some medication and she was alright after. She's doing great now! All her feathers grew back and she's just heathy, happy and no more plucking! It's incredible how they bond with you..
Everyone likes birds. What creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world?
Periquita
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon Parrots, Orange Chinned Parakeet, Brown-throated Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes, she must have been terribly sad because, in my personal experience, amazons only pluck when severely depressed. I am happy she is now better but watch her diet because they can't eat seeds/nuts/pellets/etc all day long, they need a small amount of them at night, only -gloop and raw produce the rest of the day (high protein destroys their liver and kidneys).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ashley2 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:37 am

mes though, hard enough to break the skin and I bleed. I was told to completely ignore any aggressive/bad behavior. I've never told him "No!" When he bites me. I just sit, and endour the pain. What do you do to stop biting/teach your parrot to stop....... :amazon:
ashley2
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Postby Peyton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Great job to the both of you.
Don't be intimidated into conformity, take your rightful place in the spectrum and LOVE IT.
Peyton
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:28 am

ashley2;
You do not have to sit and endure the pain or ignore it when your bird bites you. Tell him "no bite" in a firm but calm manner and sit him down or move your hand if that is where you were bitten. You don't teach a bird to stop biting per se you learn why the bird bites and the signs that it is going to bite and you avoid getting bit and in the long haul the bird will learn to not bite.
How old is your bird? It could be that it is young and needs to learn that it is biting down too hard or it could be trying to tell you that it doesn't like something or doesn't want to do a thing or have it done to it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training