Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness training and moulting

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Harness training and moulting

Postby Charl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently training my young cockatiel, Murray, to take to her aviator harness. So far she has responded well to training - she flies to her perch, returns to my hand, targets and is just learning how to wave and spread her wings on command. She will also put her head through the harness for a bite of millet.

However, she is in the middle of her first moult and had a few pin feathers in her crest. Most times she pulls her head back herself, and a couple of times (just once or twice) she has squawked. At first I thought she was just cranky (it's not her favourite "trick!") but now I'm wondering if she's catching a tender pin feather on the strap?!

Have any of you had this experience with your cockatiels/cockatoos/even other parrots and do you think it's worth stopping the training while she moults to avoid any bad associations with the harness?

Charlotte
Charl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness training and moulting

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am

I would hold off on the harness until she finishes her moult.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 am

Wolf wrote:I would hold off on the harness until she finishes her moult.

What wolf said, those pin feathers can be very tender. Ollie very clearly makes it known if I catch one accidently and I feel harness training is hard enough as it is without catching pins.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Charl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks guys. I think I will hold off - after all, she has her whole life to harness train and I wouldn't want it to hurt her.
Charl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby felicity » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

I've just bought a sweet little conure, how should I get her used to a bird harness without it being frightening experience for her? Anyone have any helpful hints? Thanks. :redbelly:
felicity
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson bellied Conure, budge and zebra finch
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Look at the Wizard's video and keep in mind that the most important thing with this kind of stuff is to follow the bird's pace in learning.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Trick Training