Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot telling owner where to go- "touch and go" trick

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Parrot telling owner where to go- "touch and go" trick

Postby Alfie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:39 pm

On youtube, I saw a video in which a girl had trained her budgie to tell her when to move forward/where to go by touching her finger with its beak every time she stopped. (I'll paste the link at the bottom). Any ideas as to how I can teach my budgie to do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA68jGqP_Io&list=UUTRpGbLBlRyqqVR06JbrCiQ
Alfie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue, female Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot telling owner where to go- "touch and go" trick

Postby marie83 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 am

Aw bless that little budgie. ive no idea how to teach it really though, perhaps on the same principle as target training.
ive no love for that cage though, its terrible, totally unsuitable.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am

That is a good trick, I like it. It appears to be a targeting variation. The bird simply taps her finger when she stops movement in much the same way that it taps the target stick to get a treat. It is not directing her on where to go, only tapping when movement stops.

Should be a simple matter to teach the bird to tap your finger on cue, reward, move, stop cue the bird to tap your finger, treat and move. Once the bird taps your finger extend the number of times it needs to tap your finger to get the treat, but move each time it taps.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Well, this is not something you can teach a flighted budgie easily -this budgie is not only clipped, it has a unilateral clip which is the worst type there is -it also has a terrible cage so I would not use anything this young girl does as an example, if I were you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 am

Yes it is a poor cage and I don't agree with clipping, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good trick.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 pm

No, it doesn't. It is a cute trick, no doubt about it! But you would have to not only clip a budgie to teach this trick but also keep it clipped (otherwise, it would just fly away) and I would not recommend doing that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

I don't know that you can't teach this to a flighted budgie and must, because of this bow to your superior knowledge of them as I do know that you have several as well as years with them that I don't have.
I still like the trick, although I would never clip a bird for a trick.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:18 am

There is no reason why you can't teach this trick without cutting their beautiful feathers off and disabling the bird. Its a simple matter of targetting type training like wolf said and hand cues behind the camera so it looks like the bird is telling the person to move and has control.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am

Have you ever had flighted budgies that are out for hours flying around, Marie? Because although I would assume that there is the exception to the rule, in my personal experience, healthy flighted budgies are SUPER flighty and hardly ever stay put long enough to learn such a trick... I think you would start with the step up and target fine but would take off as soon as they feel you walking and then you would have to walk over to where they landed and start from scratch all over again which would make this particular trick virtually impossible to teach. Like I said, there might be exceptionally calm and attentive budgies (maybe an English one) but all the budgies I've had could be described as having ADHD :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby marie83 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 am

Yes but i didnt train back then. However theres plenty of flighted budgie tricks online so do take a look.
marie83
Cockatoo

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training