Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot won't accept treats

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Parrot won't accept treats

Postby JaydeParrot » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:54 am

I've managed to teach both my Sennies to fly back to me and give 'kisses' on command but whenever I've tried to add a clicker or a treat, or both, the birds almost seemed to act like I've insulted them (weird) by trying to offer them a treat for good behaviour. If I say well done and blow them a kiss their fine but if I try to use a clicker or hand them a piece of their favourite food as a treat for doing a trick correctly, they'l either ignore it, or take it and immdiately drop it onto the floor.

Has anyone else ever had trouble with their birds refusing clicker or treat training?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot won't accept treats

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:57 am

I don't use a clicker or reward my birds with treats and I have no trouble teaching them what I want them to learn but my lessons are all about rules for cohabiting.

Now, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. You have the perfect situation: birds that learn and obey just because they want to! But I would assume that their refusal to take the treat is because they either don't like the item you are offering or they do but it has lost it's high value. Have you tried giving them something else?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Kookooloo will not accept any treat as a reward for anything, she will however accept a treat that is offered for no reason whatsoever.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Mine are not trained they just learn. They don't expect treats for doing something that makes me happy. They just expect me to share what I have.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Trick Training