Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun conures

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Sun conures

Postby Hashem » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 am

Hi there!
My name is Hashem, and just made my account on the parrot blog!
So I'm thinking about getting my first parrot and that will hopefully be a sun conure :sun:
But when I see all the tricks on the internet the parrots are often:
:rainbow: :macaw: :senegal: :amazon: :gray: and no sun conures :sun:... So my question is:
Are sunconures :sun: good trick learners like Kili :senegal: and are the that affectionate that they cuddle and let you give them long neckscratches?

Please comment!

P.S. If you ever had a sun conure tell me about your experiences,good things, bad things, actually anything you can say about them! :violin: (I play violin) oooh! Do they like vilin music too?
Hashem
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None
Flight: No

Re: Sun conures

Postby Wolf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:41 pm

I only wish that I had a Sun Conure as they are incredibly beautiful birds. They do like to cuddle and have their necks scratched. They are very lively and playful birds and if tricks are important to you I am sure that they are more than capable of leaning those that are appropriate to their size.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Hashem » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:18 am

Hi,
Thank you very much!
I'm totally convinced now to buy a Sun conure!

Have a great day!
Hashem :sun:
Hashem
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:04 pm

Well, all parrots are smart but senegals are better at learning tricks because they are 'settled down' parrots while sun conures are more flighty so don't expect the same results. They are also less patient than senegals and will become screamers and biters if not taken care of correctly (and that is not an easy thing to do with them). Sun conures (and jendays and sundays) are one of those species that seem to get rehomed more than others precisely because of these quirks. They are very showy and beautiful so people who never had parrots before want them but their inexperience ends up backfiring with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mylifewithmarmalade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:22 am

Suns have reputation for being the goofy, energetic, love everyone Labrador retrievers of the bird world. While I can't speak for all of them, mine is wicked smart and picks up tricks very quickly. That said, he has a fairly short attention span, and he is not very persistent when it comes to figuring out a new trick, so I have to structure daily training sessions to be very short and make each step so easy he almost can't fail. If I set appropriate goals he catches on very quickly.

He cracks me up all day with his acrobatics and clowning around, and loves to sit on my shoulder and try to remove the seam from the shoulder of my shirt. While he loves to be on or near me all the time, scritches and cuddles depend on his mood. Now granted mine is only 4 months old, so part of his personality could just be that he's a curious and rowdy baby. Sometimes he likes to snuggle into the crook of my arm and fluff all his feathers out for scritches, sometimes he will make the most irritated little noise and threaten to nip me if I try it. Again, this may be a phase with him, and possibly he will settle a bit as he gets a little older, but if you want a bird to just sit and look pretty, conures may be a little too high energy for you.
mylifewithmarmalade
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

This is the same bird you are teaching tricks to? A four month old baby?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 am

mylifewithmarmalade wrote:Suns have reputation for being the goofy, energetic, love everyone Labrador retrievers of the bird world. While I can't speak for all of them, mine is wicked smart and picks up tricks very quickly. That said, he has a fairly short attention span, and he is not very persistent when it comes to figuring out a new trick, so I have to structure daily training sessions to be very short and make each step so easy he almost can't fail. If I set appropriate goals he catches on very quickly.

He cracks me up all day with his acrobatics and clowning around, and loves to sit on my shoulder and try to remove the seam from the shoulder of my shirt. While he loves to be on or near me all the time, scritches and cuddles depend on his mood. Now granted mine is only 4 months old, so part of his personality could just be that he's a curious and rowdy baby. Sometimes he likes to snuggle into the crook of my arm and fluff all his feathers out for scritches, sometimes he will make the most irritated little noise and threaten to nip me if I try it. Again, this may be a phase with him, and possibly he will settle a bit as he gets a little older, but if you want a bird to just sit and look pretty, conures may be a little too high energy for you.

Yes for most parrots short training sessions are better at 4 months old and longer ones when they get older. Suns can be to hyper and hard to slow down to learn tricks, but if yours is starting to do them at 4 months then I would expect yours has the temprament to be a really fast learner.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Chantilly » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:00 am

Sun conures can be lovely, or they can just as easily be not. I have not owned one, I have a gcc.
I am lucky to get to work with them, and some are wonderful birds... Infact one actually really likes me and follows me around trying to drink from my mouth :)
but once they bond to someone they tend to get REALLY aggressive to anyone who tries to steal the attention from their human.
In all I would say that more are nice than nasty, and are lovely birds.. but they are noisy. Not like a black cockatoo or macaw, but still, they are loud... and in my opinion tend to scream allot if they dont get what they want.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:52 pm

:lol: Yes, they do. And they can get very bitey, too! I had one for years and I was never able to get him to stop been a doo-doo head (he was given up because of that). They are not easy birds, that's for sure!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Chantilly » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Yes, they are so needy.. and somewhat annoying :p But they are pretty funny to watch sometimes!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Return to Parrot Trick Training