Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Simultaneous training

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Simultaneous training

Postby HyperD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether when you train a parrot whether you solely concentrate on a single trick for say a week, then once that is fully learnt and on cue you move to the next one?

Or would you do one training session with one trick then the next day do a different trick without the first one being fully complete?

I understand the importance of reviewing learnt tricks once in a while when learning new tricks but that is not really what I am asking.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Simultaneous training

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:37 pm

There are tricks that interfere and don't interfere with each other. For instance you can simultaneously teach a prop based trick and a hand cue based trick without leading to too much confusion. For instance I could teach to roll the bowling ball and to wave foot in the same training session. You can also do taming exercises without infringing on trick training. However, training two similar type tricks at once will make the parrot confused.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Trick Training