Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stuck On Piggy Bank, Any Advice?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Stuck On Piggy Bank, Any Advice?

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Pajar, I understand your concerns, but they dont seem realistic to me. Parrots dont participate if they dont want to clicker train. So you can try to overdue but your parrot wont participate for long. Some birds love clicker training. Every bird owner needs to understand their bird and they will see how their bird reacts. Whats wrong if the purpose is to teach them tricks. Some parrots love to do tricks, its fun for them. If they dont like to do many tricks they wont participate. in my eyes, if one person spends a lot of time with a parrot communicating and learning tricks it is a good thing always. They will both learn a lot about each other. I am not a big user of clicker training, I havent used it at all on Sunny, my natural method works fine. I have used it to help others have a fun playfull time with Gaugan to enrich their relationships. I have seen a video of it used to help two birds get along and that looks really interesting to me.
Last edited by seagoatdeb on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Michael wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Yes, fun - but you forgot to add 'for us, humans'. I seriously doubt the birds think tricks are fun. If they did, they would do them without training or reward.

We'll never truly know if the birds think that are fun or not, but quite clearly through their behavior they choose to do them so there's gotta be something in it for them. You don't do anything without training or reward either. Any hobby or thing you do for fun at some point required learning how to do it and something that made it worth your while.

No, that's not quite correct. We don't do work without reward but we do fun things because the reward is in the fun. 'Fun' as a product of play behavior is found in nature in baby animals of some species sometimes (mostly with domesticated species), in adults. But parrots never play in the wild.

If parrots liked doing tricks they would do them without the reward... like dogs or horses would, for example.

Pajar, Heres where you have a big problem trying to equate a parrots attitude with your idea of work. or equating them to horses. if I am making a bird toy, and it takes 4 hours is that work? It isnt to me. Parrots are busy most of the day in the wild, they are foraging for food and preening most of the time when they are awake. So foraging, encompases most of their play and work. That is whats natural to them. They particiapte in clicker training because it satisfies something inside them. They need something to keep them occupied like foraging. Anything that allows them to solve problems, and work for a reward is satisfying to them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:53 am

You need to do more in-depth research on the difference between a flock and a hierarchical society and what motivates them. And a hungry parrot would do any kind work to get food - any animal would, it's called survival instinct.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Pajarita wrote:You need to do more in-depth research on the difference between a flock and a hierarchical society and what motivates them. And a hungry parrot would do any kind work to get food - any animal would, it's called survival instinct.

You dont need to do research, if your bird is enjoying the trick training, no research in the world can make up for common sense and your own observation. This thread is about asking for advise on clicker training, so lets get back to that.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Leanna » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:32 am

Pajarita wrote:You need to do more in-depth research on the difference between a flock and a hierarchical society and what motivates them. And a hungry parrot would do any kind work to get food - any animal would, it's called survival instinct.

Dear, you need to do the research here. You clearly do not understand clicker training. This post is about people who want to train their parrot and not to torture them by depriving them of food. I am not an expert on clicker training, but I have used it on about 10 different parrots and the vast majority, enjoyed the experience immediately. A parrrot in the wild has to forage for food, so an activity where they perform some work for food can help us give them a more natural expience. I am planning to clicker train some of my rescues that I think may benefit, and the reason I joined this forum is it was very highly recommended for clicker knowlege.
Leanna
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 15
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie Cockatiel, Conure, African Grey, Jardines, Brown Headed, Senegal, Red Bellied, Meyers, Cockatoo

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 am

Pajarita has her own ideas about parrots, many of which I agree with and some that I do not agree with. In regards to training, I am sometimes on one side of the fence and sometimes the other, but largely I disagree with her on this topic as I see no reason that training a parrot can't be a rewarding experience for both the bird and the human.
Clicker, target, stick training regardless of the name used for it or the precise application can be very useful. It can help you to have more and easier control of your bird as you can train it to go where it is directed to go. Trick training is pretty much a variation on this as you are not merely directing the bird to go here or there you are also asking it to move this object from here to there or to do this when you go here. If the bird is willingly doing these things, I see no harm. We can't say for certain how the bird thinks about these things, but most of us believe that our birds do enjoy many of the things that we teach them and most of the time we are basing this belief on telltale signs that are subjective and individual based on our understanding of our own birds. But I think that to a large degree that our birds welcome the break from the monotony of everyday life of doing nothing. They seem to appreciate the intellectual stimulation.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:43 am

My two cockatiels Rocko and Loki understand the Target stick perfectly and clicker and I haven't done any of that training with them in a very long time but they still remember so thats good,I wonder if Rocko still remembers how to wave im sure he does.Well since I have stopped using the Clicker and Target stick they have gotten a little out of control especially Loki she thinks she can do whatever she wants.Well im gonna start using them all the time now because they help keep my birds under control.I never used or heard of target training or a clicker until I started watching Michaels videos.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Leanna » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 pm

I learned about clicker training from Rebecca K O'connor, in her Perfectly Trained Parrot Book. I have been so impressed by it and the results, that I want to learn more. I am so happy to be here.
Leanna
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgie Cockatiel, Conure, African Grey, Jardines, Brown Headed, Senegal, Red Bellied, Meyers, Cockatoo

Postby Leanna » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Wolf wrote:Pajarita has her own ideas about parrots, many of which I agree with and some that I do not agree with. In regards to training, I am sometimes on one side of the fence and sometimes the other, but largely I disagree with her on this topic as I see no reason that training a parrot can't be a rewarding experience for both the bird and the human.
Clicker, target, stick training regardless of the name used for it or the precise application can be very useful. It can help you to have more and easier control of your bird as you can train it to go where it is directed to go. Trick training is pretty much a variation on this as you are not merely directing the bird to go here or there you are also asking it to move this object from here to there or to do this when you go here. If the bird is willingly doing these things, I see no harm. We can't say for certain how the bird thinks about these things, but most of us believe that our birds do enjoy many of the things that we teach them and most of the time we are basing this belief on telltale signs that are subjective and individual based on our understanding of our own birds. But I think that to a large degree that our birds welcome the break from the monotony of everyday life of doing nothing. They seem to appreciate the intellectual stimulation.

I think you can tell sometimes what the bird is thinking once you get to know them well enough, and with some you just seem to understand them right away, and others you have to work for it. The ones that like the clicker the most have learned to make a similar sound to the clicker, and are asking for more training. I have had some who dont really like the clicker at all so used different methods for them. Also, with having such a large flock, I like to give them their time with me doing what they like the best, so the clicker trained parrots are in the same rooms. that way they also learn from each other. I havent attempted any complicated tricks yet, but my best trained with the clicker so far are all parrots I got as babies.
Leanna
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

I am sure that most parrots are easier to teach new things while they are still just babies, after all this it the part of their life cycle that their parents are trying to teach them everything they need to know to live as a bird in their flock as well as how to find the appropriate foods and nesting places and so on. Although they can and do continue to learn throughout their lives this is when they learn the most , at the quickest pace making it the prime time for learning. But I think that for most people that getting an adult bird is the better way to go since there is no way to know what person a bird will choose once they go through puberty, while the birds personality is set pretty much once they hit maturity and the person that they choose at this time is likely to remain their favorite person from that point forward. With an adult bird it is almost a what you see is what you get type of scenario, which is not so with the juvenile bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Trick Training