Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to grab your parrot?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: how to grab your parrot?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:12 pm

I agree that our parrots should not be scared of us and that there are ways we can teach them to trust us. But I still think that different species and different individuals that might have had real bad experiences with humans do not react all the same. Some of them can be taught but, for others, the learning process might be, in itself, too stressful and the bird would do better not having to learn to be grabbed by the neck. Aside from that, I also don't think that every single person can be taught how to train properly -especially if we are talking about a rescued, aviary species which would require time, patience, acute observation and analytical skills as well as a certain empathy which not everybody has. You have a background on animal behavior, Michael, something that most people out there don't have and a subject of which they haven't the slightest idea what it means. I also don't think that this is a technique that every single person who has a parrot absolutely needs to know. Toweling is another story, though... everybody should learn how to towel a bird properly and without scaring the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Pajarita wrote:I also don't think that this is a technique that every single person who has a parrot absolutely needs to know. Toweling is another story, though... everybody should learn how to towel a bird properly and without scaring the bird.

What's the difference? One is with the hand and the other is with the towel. If it is taught without scaring the bird, then either can be achieved the same way.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:27 am

A towel evenly envelops the entire body while the other grabs the neck - but, aside from that, toweling is what vets do so it's better for the bird to be used to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training