Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Positive experiences about stick & clicker training!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Positive experiences about stick & clicker training!

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 am

Hmmm, it could be but I've never seen a bird that would choose to work on a foraging toy instead of taking the treats from a bowl -from somebody's fingers is a different story because it implies trust and, for all we know, there could be some bad history there that taught him not to trust 'Greeks bearing gifts'...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes, but with humans, sometimes the only reward is the mental stimulation -as in people who do crossword puzzles, for example, or people who go to school for no other reason that they like to learn whereas parrots don't seem to be like that, for them, there has to be a reward that brings them actual physical pleasure and not just intellectual stimulation.

I have to disgree with you on this. i see parrots as capable of a lot more than you do. They are all individuals and some may like more mental stimulation, some might like more emotional stimulation, but they are unique indidviduals and you cant just box them in with a simple phrase like that. We cant actually gauge their amount of "pleasure" like that with complete accuracy.

I believe the real thing to look at here is how happy your parrot is.......When Gaugan is happy, she is lively, talkative, not biting anyone, interested in things. If she gets good food, good interactions, and lots to do, she is a happy parrot, and that is what you are trying to achieve. Quality of life is what is important, and if clicker and stick training contributes to that, then that is what is important for that parrot.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:We give them foraging toys because they seem to enjoy, or otherwise benefit from the mental stimulation. I don't see why the same wouldn't be true of other training.

But, John, a foraging toy is nothing but a puzzle that, if it is solved, will provide a food reward so it's not the mental stimulation that does it for them but what we hide inside the toy.

A forgaing toy is not just for providing a food reward. Sunnys favorite foraging toys are ones he pulls long strips of crimped paper out of. I am constantly restuffing them for him. he sometimes carries a long strip of the crimped paper like a proud victor....lol...Gaugan prefers foraging toys, where she pulls out untill she gets the reward, and it can be a nut or a pine block for her to chew. i dont think you can rule out mental stimulation since they love the forgaing toys, food or no foood.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training