Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do your parrots forget their tricks?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Do your parrots forget their tricks?

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Do you forget to practice certain tricks with them and as a result, do your parrots forget the tricks?

How long does it take of not practicing a trick do your parrots forget it? How often do you try to practice tricks with them?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Do your parrots forget their tricks?

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I can say for sure that if anyone is forgetting tricks, it's usually me. Kili knows so damn many tricks that I do not have the time to practice all of them and I'll often forget to practice some of them. Then after a few months or some period of time I'll decide to check if she knows it and sure enough she still does! For instance I haven't practiced going down the slide in many months with Kili and wanted to check if she remembered it. I hadn't finished setting the slide up on the floor when Kili flew down and landed on the slide and started sliding down midflight! I had better success when I recalled her and put her on the floor, then she would climb the ladder. So yes, she doesn't forget tricks persay and often she will do them better than before because she isn't bored of it from practicing it too much.

However, without practice it DOES seem that she does a poorer job on the really complicated tricks like ring on peg by color or puzzle by shape/color. It seems that she does need constant practice to keep up with the colors/shapes.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Do your parrots forget their tricks?

Postby Kathleen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Seems like with distinct props it is very easy for them to remember what to do! :mrgreen:
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Return to Parrot Trick Training