Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What trick are you teaching your parrot?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

What trick are you teaching your parrot?

Postby Kathleen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:51 pm

What's the latest trick you've been working on with your parrot? How long has it taken you up to this point?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: What trick are you teaching your parrot?

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:13 am

I should really get on to this..

I've taught Piper, Shade and Zuri to kiss on command.
I'm teaching Petey to bob her head on command (asking to get a kiss from her would result in me getting my lip pierced..) and I'm slowly getting her to forage in more complicated areas or rather have to do more work and thinking to get to the treat.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:06 pm

If you need any advice on trick training, feel free to ask me. I've trained Kili something like 15 tricks already. Once you realize how the training process works and how mane tricks are derivatives of other tricks it gets much easier.

I've been predominantly working on recall flight as Kili's current trick since she just started flying. At first it was a trick then for a while she stopped treating it as a trick and only flew when she felt like it and now she is treating it like another trick again.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:49 pm

I haven't worked on a new trick with Duke in a while. I think I want to teach him to spread his wings next.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:39 pm

I've just started the retrieve with Mojo. We've had one short session and he quickly decided he wanted nothing to do with dropping items into a bowl and started picking the items up and throwing them instead. I guess teaching his human to play fetch is more fun ;) . I managed to get one more successful drop before we stopped. Always end on a good note :thumbsup: .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am

Yup, it's very important to end on a good note. Try to figure out the signs for when your bird is nearing done with training and then finish. If you drag it out too much, it'll just be frustrating for you and the bird even more.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Well I've said I get some of my birds to kiss for Nutriberries - Shade, Piper and Zuri.
I'm still figuring what to get Joey to do...but he's definitively not food motivated and won't always take a Nutriberry.

Which leaves me with Petey. No way I'm asking a kiss of her. But since she likes to bob her head, I figured I'd try to get her to do it on cue and reward with the Nutriberry or an almond.

Well she's picked it up. I show her the treat and they say bob and she does it. :)
Next step, get her to do it before seeing the treat.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby greatgriffin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:25 am

To give some ideas - - - check out my new trick I have just posted on youtube: fly through hoop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8qpb71KPA
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:57 am

Neato! I've been planning to teach that to Kili when she flies a bit better! Probably shouldn't be too hard considering she learned to walk through a tube in just a few tries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qhUdtAH1mU

I think the bigger issue is going to be to find progressively smaller hoops for her to fly through. I want to start out with a big one like you showed for training but then I would like to get her to learn to go through narrower ones but they would have to look the same so she doesn't get confused. Unfortunately the children's ones seem to come in really big sizes (maybe nice and small for a :macaw: but not for a :senegal: ) but otherwise there seem to be no intermediate sizes and it's not an object that is simple to build from scratch!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby greatgriffin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:27 am

I see your point. I have been looking for a right size hoop too - usually they are even bigger than this one (adult size) - this one seems to be a kid's size and its is just right for us.
I chose one that the bird can conveniently fly through without having to quit a flap while passing through. I would also set a limit personally there because I don't want to increase the difficulty in that respect. So this hoop is just about 1.5 times the size of the wingspan of the bird

However, where I do want to increase difficulty is route. What we can already do is that one person holds the hoop and the bird flies to the other person. In this way you can get the bird do ever bigger detours. Later I might involve a second hoop in the trick to make an even more complicated route to the target.

I have seen tricks like this in open-air bird shows. It is really fun to see the bird fly in zig-zag through a number of hoops and they seem to enjoy it too.
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training