Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Somersault Ground Trick

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Somersault Ground Trick

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:09 pm

I've seen parrots doing a somersault trick a few times (or a flip) but I've only seen one instance of a parrot doing a somersault on a surface without perching onto something, and that's what I'm curious about. I'm wondering, how hard is this to teach? Does it hurt the parrot too much to do it? Are certain parrots not suitable to teach it? Does it essentially have to be a clipped bird which you force to do a somersault on a surface (without being perched onto your finger, a dowel, etc)?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Somersault Ground Trick

Postby MandyG » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm

This sounds like a very cute trick to train! I found two very cute videos on youtube of birds doing it. I don't think it would be that hard of a trick if you've already trained behaviors like playing dead and rolling over. The only pre requisite would be having a bird that's comfortable going onto it's back on cue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXVawT9i3wA&feature=PlayList&p=FBD7317CA3EFF34A&index=12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8DQGZZzd2Y&feature=related

This trick wouldn't have to be trained to a clipped bird that you were forcing to do it. You would definitely need trust and a good training relationship with your bird though, clipped or not.

If I was going to try training it I would use luring. Use a favorite treat and start by luring the bird's head down towards it's feet. Eventually work so the bird is putting it's head in between it's legs further and further. You might have to help with the initial roll over just like when you're teaching the play dead trick or the roll over. Gradually decrease the luring and physical manipulation, add your cue, and you're done! Sounds easy in black and white ;) .

This might be the next trick I work on after we've mastered stick 'em up. :)
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Re: Somersault Ground Trick

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:10 pm

I've been putting off teaching this one to Kili but I know that I should. It's just going to require a lot of work (probably doing it every day for a week or two) but I think it's totally possible. It's just hard to work on new tricks like that cause I'm so busy with flight and really advanced tricks.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training