Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgie in harness?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Budgie in harness?

Postby pbax100 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 am

Probably get into trouble for this, but today I got a piece of wool put a slip knot in it and put it on the budgies foot and put him on my shoulder and took him around the street. I had no problems and he enjoyed himself. His wings are clipped but he didn't even try to jump off.
pbax100
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 am

Well we all understand the lure of taking our birds outside for a walk on our shoulder but even if it were a good idea to attach a string or chain to their leg, which it is not, a slip not can be especially dangerous as far as knots go. Their legs are far too small and brittle, for lack of the right term, to be attaching anything to for the purpose of restraint. Please think things through before doing them so that you do not inadvertently harm your friend. That is all I have to say on the matter. Thank you for reading my response.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Here's one thing you have to think about, you never know what your bird is going to be afraid of. And when that time comes he is just going to try and fly off and when that happen he will hit the end of the string and be upside down hanging by a leg. That just might be broken. My birds will be out of their cage and sometimes the littlest thing will make them fly. so you really should think about what you are doing by taking him out that way. We are just thinking of the wellbeing of your little friend.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Charl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I think the fragility issue also refers to getting the budgie in and out of the harness. Obviously, most people here would train their bird to accept the harness and not bundle them into it, but human hands can be clumsy with a bird and harness so small.

I don't think taking your bird out without a harness for cage is a good idea. It can be done, but make sure you are aware of the risks and weigh them against what you hope to gain by a trip out. Any bird, no matter how attached it is to you, no matter if it is clipped or not, may fly away if startled. It can unintentionally find itself a considerable distance away in a short amount of time.

If you are just worried about sunlight, perhaps you could look into a full spectrum light?
Charl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training