Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Laying on their Back

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Laying on their Back

Postby patdbunny » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:25 pm

There are a lot of species that just don't like being grabbed around the body like tiels, IRNs, bourkes. I saw a video where someone trained their IRN to lay on it's back and play dead so it is possible. It's just not my "thing" to train a bird to do what it's not naturally comfortable doing. But I do have all my birds grab-desensitized. I feel you never know when you're going to need to swoop down and grab a bird for its own safety.

So, just letting you know that it is possible with a bird that isn't naturally inclined to lay on its back.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm

My Amazon is ok with going on his back, he doesn't love it, but he will do it. He doesn't like being grabbed though. I don't necessarily think that the grab needs to be a prerequisite to getting them used to being on their backs.

I got Mojo used to being on his back by holding him close to my chest and giving him scritches. I would stop petting him and put my hand on his back for a moment then rewarded him with more scritches. Slowly got him used to having my hand on his back for longer periods of time then I started bending over so that he was on his back close to my chest. Then I moved on to standing up straight but keep him on his back. I always made sure he was comfortable with one step before moving on the the next (increasing the length of time, distance from me, then eliminating me bending over with him). That's what worked for us. I did it that way because being close to my chest while I was petting him was already a very comfortable potision for him.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 pm

We have not done it intentionally, but all but two of ours will lay n their back in your hand or on the floor. The other two, both budgies, dont seem to like it, but dont seem afraid either. All of them get grabbed and pawed by kids all the time. Maybe that helps with any fear issues
Dave
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
goffin
senegal

Postby sidech » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:06 pm

The first time I did it with Jazz, I was just trying to get him off my shoulder, and I have no idea how I did it, but by twisting my arm with him on my hand, I managed to turn him upside down... I realized he was okay with it and kept him there maybe 10-20 seconds.

Now I try to do it to him at least once a day. I've perfected my technique. I just put my hand on his back, do a quick 180 turns, then turn him upside down and there you go ! I do it really fast, so he doesn't have time to protest. I try to make it fun to be upside down, talk to him in a happy voice, and when I know he's had enough (after maybe 30-45 seconds), I put him back up.

Just to say it doesn' t have to be slow...
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby mrstweet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 am

Hey, thanks for this post! I love the picture. I am able to grab Paris and turn her upside down and on her back as long as she can have a firm grip on me. I haven't gotten her to just lay out yet...maybe it's time to start working on it!
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training