Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

MORE TARGET TRAINING PROBLEMS! please reply asap!!!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: MORE TARGET TRAINING PROBLEMS! please reply asap!!!

Postby brfussne » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Could it possibly be the treat is not good/rewarding enough for your Budgie? Most, if not all Budgies love Millet Spray. What treats are you offering your Budgie? Have you tried offering a different treat?
brfussne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Postby Avialae » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 am

I never touch the beak with the stick myself, you want a bird that tries different behaviours so that you have stuff to work with later on, not one that sits around and waits for you to do stuff.
Doesn't he fly/move away when you do that?

Most aviary-birds i've trained doesn't touch the stick themselves. Shaping is the answer.
I start by just holding the stick away from the bird, then click and treat. I move it closer, then click and treat.
Pretty soon the bird will realize that "aha, that stick is here, trat time!" When you can hold it up at a short distance without the bird thinking it's scary, wait some time before you click. When the click doesn't come mediatly, they will eventually look att the stick, and that's what you want to catch with the click. When he readily looks at the stick, try waiting a little bit longer to get him to turn his head towards it, or stretch out towards it. And when he readily does that, wait a little longer, etc etc, until he actually touches it.

Mostly when stuff is not going right, you need to divide the training into smaller steps.
Avialae
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Jardines, Senegals

Postby Zooey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Avialae wrote:I never touch the beak with the stick myself, you want a bird that tries different behaviours so that you have stuff to work with later on, not one that sits around and waits for you to do stuff.
Doesn't he fly/move away when you do that?

No, he didn't move away because I chose the time when he was at his calmest, usually before bedtime
They're not your whole life, but they make your life whole.
Perapumpernickelle/Perry :budgie2:
Duke :budgie2:
Zooey
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby Avialae » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 am

Ah, well i would say that might be part of the explaination to why he's not very interested, then. :)

I would start training in the morning when he is the most active, and more likely to be both hungry and alert, at least in the beginning. Then just start showing him that when that stick is around, it's treat-time, and take it from there when he's more interested.

Good luck!
Avialae
Lovebird

Postby Zooey » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 pm

I actually made him bite by pushing his upper beak, then clicking and rewarding. Then he just started to bite.
Zooey
Conure

Postby kiwitheparakeet » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:44 pm

DUDE THAT IS THE SAME THING HAPPENING WITH ME!!!!!1!!!!! I SERIUSLY DON'T GET WHY HE DOES IT. KIWI DOES THAT ALL THE TIME
Kiwi, My first bird :budgie:
kiwitheparakeet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby kiwitheparakeet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am

I am having the same problems right now!! I am just slowly pushing the stick slightly under his beak, and he will get ticked off, and bite the stick. But eventually he will stop doing that and I have to ingnore him. Just try taking him out. The bird will not know anything around him/her and the only thing he/s will know is you! so the bird will like you, and that's what I'm doing to Kiwi today
Kiwi, My first bird :budgie:
kiwitheparakeet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Zooey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Hmmm.
My bird and your bird must be different in that Perry did get annoyed but he realized that the stick was good because it got him food. Maybe some birds are just a little more stubborn?
Zooey
Conure

Postby Avialae » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 pm

It has nothing to do with being stubborn when birds don't want to do stuff. Just like i don't consider myself stubborn because i don't want to do stuff at certain times, i just have my own will and need the right motivator, just like everything else. :)

Also, i can't say i approve of this type of "training". The whole point with clicker training is giving the birds choice and giving them the chance to say "no, not now". If you're a good trainer and a good motivator, of course, that won't happen very often.

I would say you are pressuring him to much. If i were you, i'd take the time to read up some more on the principles of operant conditioning, and maybe try a different approach. You won't get far by making him irritated with you - clicker training should do the exact opposite. :)

Good luck
/S
Avialae
Lovebird

Postby Zooey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Which of us are you talking to? Cause I'm confused of whom.
Zooey
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Trick Training