Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Finally some progress!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Finally some progress!

Postby cml » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm

After 2 weeks of training, Stitch who usually is very fast learner, finally started to catch onto the wings trick training! After a lot of setbacks and problems with him wanting to step up (no matter how I positioned my fingers)or looking for treats, something hit home today and he lifted his wings on his own, just as I was closing with them to touch him. We repeated this for about 5 minutes but after that he got bored with it.

I think the biggest issue with this trick is while I am allowed to touch his wings, he isnt fond of it, and thus he had an instant dislike to the trick. It seems (knock on wood) that we've transcended that barrier now though and will be able to move forward =).

Will keep you updated on our progress :amazon2: !
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Finally some progress!

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 pm

See? It's all about patience and perseverance. Keep it up.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby cml » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Here is where we are at now:

Stitch gets the cue (and Ive been able to change from 2 hands to 1 hand), and I am working on moving my hand further and further away, as well as trying to get the time he holds his wings up as long as possible. All in all, this has been a slow trick, but we are making progress each day nontheless.

Sorry for the lack of audio, but the clip shows our progress in a good way still, I think.

A side note is that its actually been better to teach Stitch this on the table top training rig I put together, as he feels he can fly away from the standing training perch Ive got when things get boring (ie which has been working on the wings tricks, it hasnt been his favorite so far...^^).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby liz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 pm

He is so cute.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12