Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

He learnt his first trick

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

He learnt his first trick

Postby Pink Phoenix » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 am

Just to say how impressed I am with Marty for learning a basic trick this evening... it's the turn around trick. He still needs a bit of practice but think he gets it.... I only have to do the motion in front of him with my finger for him to do it....but so far he has only done it sitting on the top of my laptop so not sure if he will do it on the table etc.... will keep you posted! I'm impressed as he is only a baby still :danicing:
Pink Phoenix
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: He learnt his first trick

Postby dohcsvt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

The turn around trick is easier to teach on a perch as they have a definitive stopping point. My guys get a little confused on the table.

Congratulations with your new trick, maybe I have short bus fids.
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.
Flight: No

Postby Pink Phoenix » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:50 am

Update.... the day after he forgot the trick so I taught him again.... I tried again today and to begin with he just squeaked every time i asked him to turn around... then he decided he wanted to do it and did it about 10 times in a row... even spinning when I was not asking.... just to get a bit more of that cashew nut lol.

Can't wait to teach him some other things. I bought a clicker a few days ago so that might help also.

Anyone know whats the next easiest trick to teach? He is only about 5 months old, I'm surprised he could do this one so young? :swaying:
Pink Phoenix
Parrotlet

Postby cml » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:44 am

Pink Phoenix wrote:Update.... the day after he forgot the trick so I taught him again.... I tried again today and to begin with he just squeaked every time i asked him to turn around... then he decided he wanted to do it and did it about 10 times in a row... even spinning when I was not asking.... just to get a bit more of that cashew nut lol.

Can't wait to teach him some other things. I bought a clicker a few days ago so that might help also.

Anyone know whats the next easiest trick to teach? He is only about 5 months old, I'm surprised he could do this one so young? :swaying:

Why are you suprised? Parrots are very intelligent, our guy is 6months old and knows 6 tricks ;).
Just keep practicing =), you are doing great! The clicker will help as well.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Pink Phoenix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 am

It's funny, I wanted to see if he could turn round on a flat surface so I put him on the sofa arm... I asked him to turn round and he flew back to sit on top of the laptop and did it ha ha. I will teach him to turn around on a flat surface. Bless him
Pink Phoenix
Parrotlet

Return to Parrot Trick Training