Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

different kind of parrot, different tricks?? help me please

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

different kind of parrot, different tricks?? help me please

Postby nagelsan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am

Hi,
Because of several sercomestances i havent been able to train for a while.
I just started again this week and i finally have my cockatoos interest aswell.
He didn't seem to like it at all, but now he is, so i am thrilled.
But, i have four birds, all different species.
I have a senegal parrot, an african grey, a white cockatoo (umbrella) and a Eclectus roratus macgillivrayi (which i know the dutch and latin name for, but not the english one)
I have them, accept for the eclectus, all turning around, give me kisses, and dance on cue.
The grey also waves with both his wings and his paw and i am trying to teach the others to wave to.
But then i kind of ran out.

The eclectus does understand that he needs to touch the targetstick, but doesnt want to make an effort. He just turns his neck and says: huh?
And turns back again.
He absolutely won't do anything for it, eventhough he gets exited when i pick up the target and he wants to touch it, just as long as it is in his reach.
So i'm not getting any further on that, anybody has an idea?

Than for the other ones, i can think of several tricks, but i don't know where to start and that makes me stop trying.
Who can teach, or at least discribe a few tricks and how they have learned them?
I saw the video again this week from michael about turning around and got all 3 of them do that in even one session. (accept ofcourse the eclectus)
I want to teach my senegal some tricks that Killi does.
But where do i start?
I want to teach it right and back here in the netherlands we don't have a site or forum like this one.
So if anyone has some nice ideas for me, please let me know and explain where to begin.

Bye the way, if you know a way to train my greys vocabulaire on command, that would be great to, because he refuses to speak on command, eventhough he says a lot of things.
So, i can need some tips and tricks on that account to.

Thank you all very much.
Greetings from the netherlands.
nagelsan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Senegal Parrot, White cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: different kind of parrot, different tricks?? help me please

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 am

Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby nagelsan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:31 pm

hmmmm.
I guess i've missed that box on the left side, where you explain the tricks.
Sorry...... :oops:
gonna take a look now.

:senegal: :gray: :cockatoo: :eclectus:
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby nagelsan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:27 pm

In the mean time, i started training the way micheal explains.
i got to say, that started at not even a week ago, i allready got three of them to turn around on cue and the eclectus finally got the main picture today.
So i think, that within a few days, he will turn around too.
I only give them 1 training session a day, because my day is a bit strange now my husbands on a midday/evening shift and my daughter is home.
next week will be normal again, so i can train 2 times a day.
besides that, my grey and my senegal both give up their food, being totally in love with me, which stands in the way of good practise right now.
I still practise though, but just for 3 minutes or so and i stop when they begin to want to give me back the seeds. (at the first signs)

my grey will now: turn around, wave (he knew that allready, but is doing on cue now) dance (putting his head up and down, waving his wings a bit and whistle, now on cue) give me a paw and a kiss.
my senegal will: turn around, give me a paw, give me a kiss, and picks out the ball from three different objects (like a keychain, the ball and an other round object)
my eclectus: finally desided to actually turn around to touch the target and today made a few turns completely.
my cockatoo: gives his right or his left paw wathever you ask, turn around, give me a kiss, and caching up on the showing his wings on his own, lays down when hold in my hand.

so, getting there.
nagelsan
Lovebird

Return to Parrot Trick Training