Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ideas for prop behaviors?? Pleease

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Ideas for prop behaviors?? Pleease

Postby Julianajara » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:20 am

Guys, as I said in another topics, my indian ringneck is having some problems with wave. But i think this is my foult since i teached him just 2 props. So Im thinking about abandoning wave for now an teach him anothe props behaviors. Is it a good idea? And what props can I teach him?? He learned targeting and fetching a button on a bowl. :)
Thankyou anyways. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Re: Ideas for prop behaviors?? Pleease

Postby Julianajara » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Guys since nobody answered me yet and I cant leave my bird without "learning" time, Im making his "fetching" better, he only retrieves on a bowl, now we are working to make him retrieve on my hand. I after this I want to teach him another prop, a easy one like ringing a bell...any ideas of other easy props behaviours??
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

'Dont abandon wave, just be patient. It might take more than a few training sessions, but he will eventually get it!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Polarn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Another thing that is quite easy to teach is turn around, although that too relies on you fading it out to make a "proper" que. So I would actually keep on with the wave, not only to teach him how to wave but also for him to learn that performing on a que no matter distance is just as rewarding, another thing is nodding yes or shaking head no. The shaking head no might be discussed how to get the bird to shake the head, I want Polarn to kinda twist back and forth with his head so I have started to get him to flip the body to the right then left and the. Back to the right and center. Kind of an exaguration of a no. The "normal" way is to teaching it by blowing on the bird making it shake it's head. And it does result in two different behaviors, so I guess how you teach it depends on what end result you want.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Soo, as i said im training fetch a lil bit more to make it perfect. But as you all sugeested me, im going back with wave than. Making that of puting my finger away just a lil bit at each time until he gets MY wave :)
Thanks you all. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Return to Parrot Trick Training