Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Breakthrough

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Breakthrough

Postby kittyhazelton » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Finally got my IRN to lay on her back in the palm of my hand. Bean working on doing it for a little while, basically just twirling her upside down on my finger and letting her rest in my palm while still holding on. Been working up to getting her to gently let go after laying there, and finally got her to stay long enough to get a picture.
... she's still a bitey little brat who thinks screeching at me and biting are just as fun as the actual training goes, but at least we're both having fun. She's always quiet and content after our sessions.

DSC01854.JPG
(55.14 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: Breakthrough

Postby brfussne » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Daawwww :) Isn't she a cutie! It's such a good feeling when you're trainging and get a break through!! I can't wait to teach my :bcaique: some tricks!
brfussne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby cml » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Good to know you are making progress! Is she comfortable with you touching her in general or can you check her wings, scratch her head etc?
Btw, she's her feathers are beautifully colored =).

Are you training anything with your Macaw as well?
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Sparky » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Aww clever girl!!
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.

Postby kittyhazelton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm

cml wrote:Good to know you are making progress! Is she comfortable with you touching her in general or can you check her wings, scratch her head etc?
Btw, she's her feathers are beautifully colored =).

Are you training anything with your Macaw as well?

Aliah has never been a "touchy feely" bird, she does not like being petted in the slightest (attempts to do so end up badly) Generally the only touching of her head/wings happens when she's already resting up against me, and then you still have to be sneaky about it.

I'm currently trying to get Chica to "circle" spin around in a circle. She's starting to get it. She already lets me lay her on her back in my hand, twirl upside down, and she's got targeting down pat. She comes when called (with a lot of encouragement), but has to walk cause she's still got a lot of flight feathers yet to regrow so she's not always that motivated to do so. vocalization not making any progress on trying to get her to say anything, but according to her previous owners she was ALWAYS a quiet bird.
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves

Return to Parrot Trick Training