Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Funniest Thing

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

The Funniest Thing

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I was training with Cuddles the other day. When she wouldn't do what I asked (knowing that she can and was doing it seconds ago) I started turning my back to her for a few seconds and then try again. This actually worked the first three times. However, after the third time of me turning my back to her, I turned back to look at her and she just looked up at me and turned her back to me as if she was ignoring ME instead. LOL It was as if she was telling me that she did not want to play this game anymore. She has done this to me a few times since then and she will sit there with her back to me until I ask her "Are you ignoring me", then she will turn back around towards me and if I give her a cue she will do what I ask. My husband and I just thought that this was so funny that she did this to me.

Has anyone else's bird ever done this during a training sessions?
Robin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: The Funniest Thing

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Oh yeah. They can be little stinkers. They'll turn and ignore the trainer for all they care. Tonight neither Kili nor Truman felt like training so they pretty much just ignored me.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the reply Micheal...it sounds like Kili and Truman decided that they both deserve and night off from training...lol
Robin
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby Andromeda » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Robin wrote:I was training with Cuddles the other day. When she wouldn't do what I asked (knowing that she can and was doing it seconds ago) I started turning my back to her for a few seconds and then try again. This actually worked the first three times. However, after the third time of me turning my back to her, I turned back to look at her and she just looked up at me and turned her back to me as if she was ignoring ME instead.

Has anyone else's bird ever done this during a training sessions?

Haha That's really funny; birds are smart.

Usually my conure is super-excited about his training sessions but yesterday he did about three tricks and then flew away. I put him back on his training perch and tried it again and he flew away again. I told him, "Well, nevermind, then! I guess you don't want to do this right now!" He's a funny little guy. :gcc:
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby DanielA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Sounds familiar. :?
DanielA
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby RedDragon1288 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 am

I think the funniest thing Ruby saying is "I'm fat", which he says right after he eats.
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Return to Parrot Trick Training