Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Play Dead Problem..

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Play Dead Problem..

Postby Acka » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi, I have an 11 week old :gcc: and she knows how to Wave, Show her wings, Re-call and Shake her head (no). Im currently teaching her to playdead but I have a problem. She is fine laying on my hand on her back without holding my fingers but then when i try to put her down on the ground on her back she just Flips straight back up to my finger. Can someone tell me how they taught their bird to play dead, ? or Any Advice, (: :gcc:
Acka
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Play Dead Problem..

Postby marie83 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:51 am

Your green cheeks very young to be learning all this. At this age everythings all new and exciting so probably almost anything is a distraction, I would wait until shes at least 6 months old before you go any further in depth with her training otherwise you run the risk of frustrating her or yourself. That said I think you've done very well so far.

For whenever you decide your ready to proceed though, get her lying on her back in your hand, then slowly ease her onto whatever you actually want her to lie on. Click and reward immediately (if your clicker training) before she has time to get back up. I've noticed it helps with Ollie if the surface is soft to start off with so I started doing it on the rug or sofa. Its also helped me to hold a treat just above his head to encourage him to stay still for a few seconds. Gradually you can increase the length of time she is on her back.
I haven't figured out how I'm going to get Ollie to willingly flip onto his back himself yet but hopefully someone else will come along with some ideas. Getting your bird used to lying on his back in places other than your hand will help though.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Play Dead Problem..

Postby Acka » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks for that, Today she just layed on her back on my bench for some reason haha. I will wait if its too young, but i will get her very consistant with her other tricks if thats alright, ? Thanks So Much ! :gcc: :gcc: :gcc:
Acka
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training