Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

problem to learn

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

problem to learn

Postby lamu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 am

I have a problem, my parrot (1 year old) refuses to learn any trick.
I started with her when she was 4 months with simply tricks, but now, with the harness, when she sees it, flies away, and never wants to return. I tried with touch with the beak = bonus, but she is not interested.

And so with trick (somersault), at the start is interested, when she knows that is a lesson, she fly away.

She is like my daughter.... flawed. :roll:

recommendations? suggestions?
lamu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: problem to learn

Postby marie83 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 pm

She isn't flawed, theres just other stuff she would rather do. It's about finding a way that persuades your 'tiel that actually what your asking her to do is rather rewarding behaviour rather than disipline. You need to find out what makes your bird tick, what makes it rewarding to her. Does she have a sunflower seed addiction but she gets it in her food every day? take it out of her food and use them as treats. How about millet? is she an absolute sucker for a head scratch or does she favour a certain foot toy above all others? Have you tried food management stategies? Training even for a favorite food just wont seem worth it if she only ate ten minutes beforehand.

What things have you already tried? Maybe between us we can find a suggestion that might motivate her a little.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby lamu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:03 am

thanks for reply.
Lenticchia have the food available in the cage, as you suspected, and I not take him because when she was small she had a disease that 'brought to weigh 55 grams, and even the vet gave her up for dead, so now I'm careful. Tested: grain, sunflower seeds, fruit, biscuits, bread, favorite games (money), Parmesan cheese.
I also tried to turn them away and not listen to her. (back on the shoulder, but then flies away again).
maybe I can try to take her food some hours before she starts her lesson...I had not thought

In any case I don' t know how many times she must eats at the day, and the most important, I don' t know how many grams of food she must eats. I think is based on the bird weight .
the vet ask me only the type of food, not quantity. I haven' t a diet by my vet for my bird.
lamu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 am

The amount of food your bird will need depends on her size, age, activity levels and whether she is currently under/over weight. A lot of people seem to free feed and just fill the dish up and let the bird pick how much it wants to eat. I think its more important to give measured amounts though as then its easier to detect a change in eating patterns that may give an early warning sign if the birds becoming sick.
If your wanting to start rationing food, weigh out what you normally give her and slowly reduce the weight you give her. Monitor your birds weight for a few days each time you reduce her food down. Eventually you get to a point where her weight will drop a bit in which case you need to up her intake to the last amount that keeps your birds weight steady. It may take several weeks/months before you find the right balance for your bird.
If your bird has weight issues I strongly reccommend you get advice from your avian vet before messing about with her food though but removing her food a few hours before training or just removing her favorite seeds from her main diet to use as training treats shouldn't impact her weight unless its the only thing she eats. If her weight does start dropping you can always change things back or make the changes more gradually.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Parrot Trick Training