Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What tricks can your Cockatiel/budgies do ?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: What tricks can your Cockatiel/budgies do ?

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Cockatielsongs wrote:My Cockatiel can high five :D He learnt this by accident really, I was meant to teach him to wave but he didn't want to let go of my hand, so instead of waving he would give me a comical high five :D :greycockatiel:

Yes its true. I am training my cockatiel to wave after seeing Michael's video.But rather she is trying to touch my hand like "Hi" or step up on my finger when I keep it close.
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Polarn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm

As briefly mentioned with the piggybank. The biggest limitation to tricks with the small fellas is getting the right sized prop, other than that there isn't much difference in what a budgie can learn compared to a macaw for example.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Wiki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 am

Now that Wiki's flighted, almost 100% normal, I have to add two more to his list:
Flight recall
Flighted basketball (carry ball to the hoop while flying)

:budgie: He's become such a confident bird with flying, thanks to clicker training which helped him overcome his fear and gain the strength he needs to be able to zoom around the house.
Wiki
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby marie83 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 am

Wiki wrote:Now that Wiki's flighted, almost 100% normal, I have to add two more to his list:
Flight recall
Flighted basketball (carry ball to the hoop while flying)

:budgie: He's become such a confident bird with flying, thanks to clicker training which helped him overcome his fear and gain the strength he needs to be able to zoom around the house.

Yay for Wiki :) I would like to see his latest tricks if your planning on putting a video up at all? don't forget to update your profile to let the world know :D
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wiki » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 am

marie83 wrote:Yay for Wiki :) I would like to see his latest tricks if your planning on putting a video up at all? don't forget to update your profile to let the world know :D

Oh yes - all his tricks (including his latest, "Tricky Wiki 3: Flying High") are up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMeQ5YlHLg

I'm always amazed at how quickly variations on tricks get picked up - he's such a quick study! I'm delighted - my favourite bird shop is now starting a "smart parrot" corner where they're going to sell trick props (like the basketball, piggy banks, shape sorters, ring stackers and so on). I can't wait! Colour sorting is something I want to try, and the set they have is small enough for Wiki :D
Wiki
Lovebird

Postby marie83 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am

Aww Wiki is amazing, you've done really well. i cant find props that are conure sized let alone budgie so your really lucky there..... I'll be interested to know how the colour training goes :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wiki » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:48 am

marie83 wrote:Aww Wiki is amazing, you've done really well. i cant find props that are conure sized let alone budgie so your really lucky there..... I'll be interested to know how the colour training goes :)

Thank you! He's always full of surprises. I can get my hands on the plastic slinky at my local supermarket, and I'll be encouraging the bird shop to sell online as well! I know a lot of small bird owners who could definitely use their handmade toys - the small rings of beads are awesome for budgies, they love them. Anything small and throwable :D
Wiki
Lovebird

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training