Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Not sure where to go with budgie?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Not sure where to go with budgie?

Postby ecker8 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 am

So i began starting to teach my budgie to flight recall. I started off in his cage saying 'UP' and then 'DOWN' then rewarding him with a treat he has now learnt that when i say 'UP' he jumps onto my finger however the problem is getting him outside the cage. I can get him outside the cage and I always allow him to fly around whilst I'm in the room, I can get him back into his cage with ease, but when training it is a whole different story.
Whenever he hears a car noise he gets scared and flies away, when he hears something coming up the stairs he flies away and I am just not sure how to train him since he is so timid?
Thanks in advance
Ryan.
ecker8
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Not sure where to go with budgie?

Postby Cockatielsongs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 am

When training you should bring your birdie in a quiet room free from distractions.
As for you bird being scared, it's probably still adjusting to the unfamiliar noises etc, just find a way to show your bird that everything is okay, safe and nothing bad is going to happen :)
Good luck
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training