Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

1 trick at a time or multiple?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

1 trick at a time or multiple?

Postby Electic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Chris Harris has a method wear he trains the parrot to do many tricks in a single session, we were covering targetting, retreive, harness training, carrier desensitizing, and mist desensitizing, all in a single session, what would be best in your guys' opinion? Train one thing at a time for a span of 10-15 minutes or jolt through many things in 10-15 minutes?

Shyla, my eclectus loves doing all her tricks, she particularly enjoys harness training for whatever reason, as well as retrieve but I have no clue as to why she HATES, and I mean HATES doing the turn around trick, right as I say 'spin' or even 'turn around' she flaps and pins, and I have no idea why.

Anyways, thoughts?
Electic
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: 1 trick at a time or multiple?

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:55 am

Are you talking about stuff the parrot already knows? If so I tend to practice a bit of alot of things in 1 session to add variety. If I'm teaching something new then I stick to one thing at a time, I reckon Ollies capable of learning 2-3 simple things in 1 session but I wouldn't want to overwhelm him and him to get confused the next time. As for things like harness training and desensitizing I really don't think it's a good idea to rush things, very few birds would be ok with a harness after 1 session let alone with other new things mixed in, although things like targetting can serve as a distraction if target is already well known to the bird.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Electic » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Well she's almost completely okay with misting desensitizing and the harness, she actually looks forward to the harness, but for example:

Chris Harris was covering targetting which she knew really well, but quickly branches to flight recall, then quickly branched to retrieve, so, he was constantly teaching new things and I'm thinking to finish teaching

retrieve
spin
the aray of desensitizing

and then moving onto one trick at a time, but I'm not sure, she's actually doing phenomenal with her flight recalls despite the fact she still isn't fully flighted, but just felt like getting other opinions would be some good insight.
Electic
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:18 pm

I really don't know what you're referring to but do what works for you.

Here's what I wrote about teaching multiple tricks at once (and by at once I mean in close proximity of each other by days/weeks and not same day).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training