Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching a 'tiel to fly

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Teaching a 'tiel to fly

Postby Cockatielsongs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:09 am

Can someone tell me how I could teach my cockatiel to fly? My cockatiel was unfortunately clipped when I purchased him, now I read about how much birds enjoy flying and is a good way to exercise so I want to start teaching Captain how to fly.
Note: My 'tiel could fly before he was clipped :greycockatiel:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Teaching a 'tiel to fly

Postby marie83 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 am

theres a little bit on here right under the video of kili doing the puzzle with the shapes.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=228

The back of two chairs may work if you don't haver perches. Have them close enough that he can step over the first few times then very slowly increase the distance.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:28 am

Rambo does not have flight feathers and as far as I know has never flown.

I hold him on my finger and lift him up and down. He flaps on the down. When I think he has built up enough lift I tell him fly. He can fly to the couch about 5 feet away and do a good landing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cockatielsongs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 am

liz wrote:Rambo does not have flight feathers and as far as I know has never flown.

I hold him on my finger and lift him up and down. He flaps on the down. When I think he has built up enough lift I tell him fly. He can fly to the couch about 5 feet away and do a good landing.

I don't understand how that works...I mean when I make my 'tiel flap he just clings harder to my finger and doesn't fly off anywhere...
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Postby liz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:53 am

Does he flap?

Rambo flaps his wings when I bring him down. This exersizes the muscles used for flying. He has no flight feathers but I want his muscles strong. He holds tight so he won't get lift until he is ready. I aim him toward the couch for a soft landing. Then lift him up and down until he gets tired of it and flies to the couch.

I don't know if Rambo ever flew. In my house he has done jump off and flapped to a crash landing.

He is doing better with his landings and does try to land on something soft. The other day I guess he couldn't make it to the couch and landed on the cat. He did yell hello before his crash so the cat had warning.

My inner species family work together. The cat waited until he got off before she ran to the door.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Shelby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 am

Most parrots don't like the whole "move your hand up and down to make them flap" thing. Some do, like Liz's amazons, but most bird owners I've talked to say their birds just freaked out when they tried to make them flap. (Liz's birds just seem so much more adventurous than my friends' birds! :lol: ) Nervous birds can come to distrust your hand and feel it doesn't make a sturdy perching spot anymore.

I like Michael's method. Because the bird understands targeting, it understands what you want him to do. Start small and gradually your bird will get more confident as his skills improve. Ascending builds muscles; descending fine-tunes control. Landings are one of the hardest things about flying, so make sure that your hand and whatever perch/chair back you use are very steady.

Remember that as your bird becomes a more skilled flier, he will have fewer accidents (like the one where he ended up behind your TV)! :thumbsup:
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Postby Cockatielsongs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 am

liz wrote:Does he flap?

Rambo flaps his wings when I bring him down. This exersizes the muscles used for flying. He has no flight feathers but I want his muscles strong. He holds tight so he won't get lift until he is ready. I aim him toward the couch for a soft landing. Then lift him up and down until he gets tired of it and flies to the couch.

I don't know if Rambo ever flew. In my house he has done jump off and flapped to a crash landing.

He is doing better with his landings and does try to land on something soft. The other day I guess he couldn't make it to the couch and landed on the cat. He did yell hello before his crash so the cat had warning.

My inner species family work together. The cat waited until he got off before she ran to the door.

Thanks I'll try on my next training session :) :greycockatiel:
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Postby Cockatielsongs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 am

;) What I do is make him flap until he seems to be quite ready to fly, then I set him down on a perch and stand a few inches away from him and he would fly to me! YAY!
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Postby asymonds84 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:29 am

Me gusta tu punto de vista sobre la enseñanza. Es realmente aumentar mis valores sobre la enseñanza. Realmente me impresiona de sus pensamientos.
asymonds84
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Parrot Trick Training