Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Treats

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Treats

Postby adamrpostjr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 pm

What do you guys use for treats?

i cant find anything that he is interested in ive tried 3 different things and non of them seen to interest him i mean he eats them but he doesn't seem to be excited im not sure what to do with both my green cheek conure and my cockateil it was a matter of days before they learned four tricks my teil learned Kiss wave and shake head no... in 2 days and my green cheek it took three weeks to learn kiss, turn around, wave, shake head no, drop (hanging upside down like a bat), and fetch.... but Gizmo my Meyers doesn't seem interested in treats!

im stuck i dont know what to do... treats ive tried were Kaytee yogurt dipped papya, plain papya, and a diffrent kind of treat that i cant named off the top of my head..

( i dont know why but i have something against millet so that's my very very very last resort)

someone please help! thank you

if you see this Michael what treats do you use for your sengal id love to know!
adamrpostjr
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Treats

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Acka » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:04 am

I used to use sunflower seeds but now i use apple for my gcc. I don't know why but she just loves it, have you tried fruit, ?
Acka
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:07 am

My tiel will only accept sunflower as a treat so I have to break it up into tiny pieces otherwise she would be a very fat bird.

My GCC will respond to head scratches, sunflowers, millet and tiny chunks of apple as a treat as a big motivational treat. He will accept other stuff too but like with your bird the enthusiasm is absent.

Some birds won't ever be particuarly motivated by food treats but would prefer a head scratch or access to a toy.

One way to find out what the favorite food treat is is to put lots of different stuff in a small bowl and see what he usually picks out first.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Trick Training