Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"play dead" Halfway tips?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

"play dead" Halfway tips?

Postby Guy.G. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 pm

in the last 3 days I started teaching my IRN the "play dead" trick, now he has no problem lo lie on his back without moving until I "click"..the thing is that I'm not sure how to continue from here so that he would do it on cue without me turning him…
this is what I'm trying for now- I'm doing a "pistol" with my hand in front of him. Then make a "bang" sound and immediately turning him to lie on his back…any tips?
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: "play dead" Halfway tips?

Postby marie83 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm

I got stuck there to. I've seen other people push their birds over and roll them but I don't really wish to use force in that sense of the word but at the same time I don't know how to encourage the rolling on the back thing either. Although I'm not training for a while as my GCC is sick I'll keep an eye on this thread for the future.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Re: "play dead" Halfway tips?

Postby Guy.G. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 am

I'm sorry to hear that your GCC is sick, hope she'll return to good health soon :)
I thought of 2 ways that I'll try today: 1 is putting him on a blanket/towel and lifting the blanket from one side (no need to worry I'll do it very gently) 'till he's in the right position.
The "game plan" is lifting the blanket less and less 'till I won't have to touch it at all.
Of course that while lifting the blanket I'll also use vocal and visual cues.
Way 2: try to use target stick.
If there's anyone else that can contribute to the thread…
And where is Michael in all of this? He taught kili to do it like a champ…
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck

Return to Parrot Trick Training