Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Doing Two Tricks At Once

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Doing Two Tricks At Once

Postby meowzero » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm

When I'm training my bird, she likes to do 2 tricks at once or one after the other. It's hard to click at the right moment, and it feels like I'm conditioning her to do the wrong trick. For instance, if I say "shake", she'll shake and wave one immediately after the other. I click immediately after when she does the shake, but because she waves afterwards, the click is during her wave. Because of this I'm worried she'll get conditioned for the wrong trick. How should I go about this? Should I only reward her if she does 1 trick only?
meowzero
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Doing Two Tricks At Once

Postby Eurycerus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:19 pm

I've been having the same problem! Hehe... Even though I mix up the tricks, she still wants to show off I suppose. I try to make sure she only does the one trick but sometimes she tricks me and waits just long enough and as I click she does the next trick. I think you just do the best you can.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Re: Doing Two Tricks At Once

Postby Wayne361 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 pm

My :senegal: would do this too. It is important to only reward when they have done ONLY the specific trick you have cued. They will get the hang of it. From the parrots perspective it wants to do what it can to get the treat.....if doing two tricks at the same time isnt working then this behaviour should/will diminish....

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Return to Parrot Trick Training