Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My "Play Dead" video guide!!!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

My "Play Dead" video guide!!!

Postby Guy.G. » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95O4sS1gOU0

the new artical is in the video description.
if u found the video useful please press the "LIKE" button :)
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: My "Play Dead" video guide!!!

Postby marie83 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Aww he is adorable. You've done a very good job with him and the video has definitely cleared up your descriptions on that parts I couldn't quite picture what you meant.

Well done :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Guy.G. » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Happy to see that it helps, I knew that it would be hard to understand all the steps just from reading but I decided to wait a bit and make sure that Chief is well prepared to show the steps without getting confused, the feedbacks from U and others showed me that I was right.
Like I said in the video- I also trained a friends IRN to do that trick....after 1 week he's doing it very well and 2-3 more 10 min' sessions he would master it completely :)

BTW I did some work on the YouTube guide so teach your parrot with the YouTube guide.
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Postby janetafloat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Cute! Your Chief is adorable and your video is really good, thank you, I'll try that when my tiel is that tame, we've got a ways to go.
:pied:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby friend2parrots » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Chief is really talented - great work!

thanks for posting this - i found it very educational.
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby Guy.G. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Happy to help the training community, it brings me nothing but joy to know that the guide became a huge success (I know of over 70 ppl who taught their parrot this trick using my guide!), BTY chief learned to stick out his tongue on commend- I'll post a video this week.
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Postby Dave & Karen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am

Very Nice! ... I'm still working with Blue, our parrotlet to lay on his back so I can teach him tricks like this. He is getting more cooperative and less nervous every day so we're making progress. So far he can summersault on my finger or on a perch, turn around, and his flight recall is getting better.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby Guy.G. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm

thx :)
Someone asked me once on how I taught Chief to lay on his back(at first I had trouble with it so I stopped and started thinking on a comfortable and relaxing way to teach him, this is what I came up with and it worked like a charm..maybe u'll get some pointers from this..

Lying on his back:
Step 1
Hold the parrot close to your chest so that he would grab your shirt and then start (slightly!) lean forward -like taking a bow- then click and reward..understand that u need to let the parrot get used to that unfamiliar position..in his own pace- bow lower towards the ground until u r bowing like bowing should be

Step 2
Now instead of him grabbing your shirt- he would grab on to your index finger, for now nothing changes except that! he's still close to your chest and u r still supporting him (now with only one hand of curse).
Bow like u did up until now and when u c that he's ok with that- lean back up a few inch's but don't move your arms, now the parrot is lying on his back and the only support is your finger and your palm

Step 3
Now your goal Is to increase the distance between u and your parrot so that in the end u'll stand back up and he will remain in lying position..when u achieve that try turning him on he's back without bowing.

Step 4
The last step is of curse removing your finger..I don't think that it's possible not to get bitten during this process (the parrot wants something to grab on..it's a natural instinct) so try to release one or two of his fingers first (with your thumb) then sleek out your finger entirely (only from one leg), eventually he will release his leg on his own and then u release the other leg, now it's time to take a deep breath and smile, u just took the game to a whole other level….
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Return to Parrot Trick Training