Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

To clip or not to clip?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

To clip or not to clip?

Postby Electic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:03 am

I realize this is very controversial but I would only like for people that are familiar with the female eclectus (sub species - red sided) to comment, others are welcomed as well, Shyla is going through some serious hormones, she contradicts everything about an eclectus with their docile personality, don't get me wrong, Shyla is an absolute sweet heart when she's tired, lol, but the main issue I'm having is since she is flighted, I hate having her in the cage, and whenever she is out, she will probably perch for about 5 minutes maximum before flying off in search of a suitable nesting area, anything that is kind of dark and has corners will suit her taste, she's never been aggressive or bit anyone in my family but having her consistently fly off in search of these dark corners is getting tiresome, I'm contemplating clipping her wings in hopes that she will adopt a more stationary attitude, I'm not sure if my thinking is proper, but I'd like to know if anyone else had a bird so hormonal that whenever they are out of the cage, they consistently disregard you unless they are hungry, and go search for the dark corners, when she was a baby she did do this but it wasn't as severe and was controllable with a few adjustments to her environment, but now it is completely out of control and unless she's perched on my hand and I'm moving so she doesn't have enough time to calculate the distance, she will stay on my hand, but if I stand still for about 5 seconds, she will bolt off, she is 1 year and 3 months old, so I assume this is her prime age for role play nesting behavior. I really am just confused as to what to do for my happiness, and her safety.

PS: I do trick train her, and that's what I mean by her being hungry, she will perch for the duration of the training session, 5-10 minutes maximum, but once that crop gets full, off she goes, and I can see it in her eyes, so I end the training session and put her in her cage.
Electic
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: To clip or not to clip?

Postby liz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am

Clipping is mutilation. You would not tie a kids legs together to keep them from running around the house.

Flying is a nesesity for being healthy. They have to keep their muscles strong to be healthy.

Hormonal will pass.

In the mean time you have to birdy proof the areas that she gets in trouble. You would not put a crystal vase where a kid plays. If there is a problem it is with you and not the bird.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby marie83 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:56 am

Hormones will pass, the physiological and pyschological effects of a wing clipping may not.

I would just try to block off the sites she is interested in and try to get her hormones under control through diet and light manipulation. I know ekkies have special dietry needs and I am not sure whether they breed when there is more or less light so I won't try to advise you on that but I'm sure the information is about somewhere on the web, if not contact breeders who will be able to make suggestions.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 am

I thumbtacked a sheer curtain panel over my laundry room door. Then I had to put on over my Aunt Betty's door. Myrtle cannot fly into these rooms but it leaves air flow and easy access for humans and furry pets.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Electic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I see, Shyla doesn't have only one or two spots she likes flying too, it would be nearly impossible to eliminate all of these areas.
Electic
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Eurycerus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Well why don't you try giving much smaller treats. You could put her away after she gets bored and then after thirty minutes or so take her back out again.

Try to make sure she has toys and fun things to play with in the area you want her to be too.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby marie83 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Well you can still look into the diet and lighting. Also teach her recall and other things to take her mind off of it or at the very least hopefully stop you going to fetch her every single time.

**edit** Sorry I just realised you said you do training already but you could only recall her and give her the teeniest pieces of treats so her crop doesn't get full as quickly.

How about lighting up the dark areas so they look less "nesty"
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Parrot Trick Training