Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

BirdTricks.com?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

BirdTricks.com?

Postby Kirsten » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Is anyone familiar with their training videos and stuff? I've gotten a whole lot of info here and elsewhere on the internet, but I'm considering asking for one of the training kits for my birthday coming up.

Has anyone bought from there or have any feedback? They seem to have a pretty big following.
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: BirdTricks.com?

Postby Polarn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I got their DVDs as a present last year, however what I was looking for was quite limited on the DVDs and that were the basics. And to be honest most of what's on their DVDs are available for free through the Internet. But as for tricks, yeah I think they do a good job explaining it step by step and it's quite easy to understand, but still most tricks can be found how to teach elsewhere, the bonus is though that everything comes in one place and you might find you've never thought about including your bird in a cardtrick and decides that's what you want to teach next, plus the fact that I find the brothers quite charismatic and easy to listen to compared to a lot of the YouTube clips you find out there, but then their charisma is probably one of the reasons they have so many followers.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:50 pm

When I got my first parrot I bought all their DVDs. I thought I had found a good thing. They were all crap in my opinion. Maybe one or two things were okay, but overall it was pretty useless stuff. I've found much better information and step by step instructions on Michael's Blog. If you were going to ask for anything for your birthday in regard to DVDs, you should ask for the new DVDs that Michael put out. I attended the seminar when it was held here in Phoenix, AZ. I got so much more out of that one day seminar then I ever did out of any of Bird Tricks information. Here's the link to use so you can pass it along to those asking what you want for your Birthday.

http://ParrotWizard.com/SeminarDVD

You won't be sorry. It is great information with input from a live audience of parrot owners. You won't get that from any Bird Tricks DVDs.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby KC Cameron » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

Now I know Michael use to work with the Womach brothers . . . but I find they dribble information out to maximize their profit and tend to over hype their products. I am glad Michael is not that way.

I am not saying they are bad, just not the most efficient method of learning how to train your parrot. By this I mean it is costly,and slow, as in they go into much more detail that it made me bored. This means a lot less bang for your buck by the hour (and hour, and hour . . . ). Of all the "Bird Training Experts", they seem by far, to be the most profit driven - and they do very well. - Yes, I foolishly spent far too much on them.

Parrot training isn't hard to understand, it just takes patience, something most of us are lacking. If you are looking for a "magic bullet" this isn't it - even though they think it is. I don't think there is much, if any, original info with them, but they do package it up nice and pretty and charge a bundle. To me, their expertise is more in marketing to humans. Will it work, sure, in most cases. Is it the end-all? No. Is it cost efficient - Not even close.
KC Cameron
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing and Umbrella

Postby Dbeguy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 pm

KC Cameron wrote:I am not saying they are bad, just not the most efficient method of learning how to train your parrot. By this I mean it is costly,and slow, as in they go into much more detail that it made me bored. This means a lot less bang for your buck by the hour (and hour, and hour . . . ). Of all the "Bird Training Experts", they seem by far, to be the most profit driven - and they do very well. - Yes, I foolishly spent far too much on them.

Yes I do enjoy their youtube videos, but I find one thing disturbing: The way that they have been on the record dissuading people from using harnesses for outdoor flight.

This seems pretty irresponsible to me. It has fallout too! watch below.

Does this bother anyone else? It's awful!
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby ginger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Yes, it totally bothers me. I can't even imagine why anyone that is looked upon as an "authority" by both novice and experienced bird owners would ever recommend outdoor free flight without a harness. Or even recommend taking your bird outdoors without some type of restraint in either a carrier or on a harness. That is in regard to any bird, whether the bird is clipped or not doesn't matter. I know that is why Michael is adamant about making sure that his videos warn against it, both in writing of annotations on his videos and in his introductions to the videos. He also makes it extremely clear on his blog, his facebook page and when he does any personal appearances.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby Scotty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 pm

Ever since I saw BirdTricks.com they gave me a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.

As a computer geek, the site looks more like something as an Infomercia, trying to sell and promote, more like to make a buck instead of just helping. Now granted they certainly have the right to make money, but honestly, with all the free information out there, I just think they could do better at offering more free information too.

I've never liked this site, now that I see them talking about saying it's not good to use a harness, it's just complete stupid, because a bird will get spooked at times, and it's better to be safe then sorry, and anyone wanting to free flight their bird better be one damm good authority on the species they own, before even thinking about doing something like this.

Also when I think about it, our birds are pets, so they live indoors most of the time, so if people just have to let their bird free flight, then take it to a BASKETBALL GYM as an example, and let it fly around, and then no worries of escape, simple enough, just free fly your bird in some large inclosed building, and I bet the bird could care less if it's was flying indoors or out, probably going to feel safer indoors without all the distractions that one could run into outside...
BeBe :gcc:
Scotty
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Return to Parrot Trick Training