Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"Superman"/stretch trick? Any techniques or ideas?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

"Superman"/stretch trick? Any techniques or ideas?

Postby truste » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Has anyone taught a parrot to stretch his wing on command? I don't mean like the "wings"/eagle trick, although that one is really cool too, but like what they naturally do--putting one foot back and stretching the wing on the same side over it. My bird does this frequently, but only on her own, and I think it would be cool to have her do it on cue. Problem is, I don't know how to go about teaching her to!

The only thing I can think of to do is to catch her doing it on her own, say the cue, click, and reward. I just feel like doing it this way would take too long!

Here is a picture of a Macaw stretching his wing:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/16073 ... ad40e4.jpg
truste
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: "Superman"/stretch trick? Any techniques or ideas?

Postby Polarn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:56 am

Like you capturing the behavior is the only way I can think of to put this on que, however I wouldnt say the que to begin with I would just click and treat every time I saw it until she starts using the behavior for begging. As she figures out everyone she stretches like this she will get a treat. Given good enough treats she would begin begging for them by doing this frequently over and over again while you watch her. This is when I would introduce the que as in saying the que, waiting for the begging behavior (the stretch), click and reward. Then que it again and then keep repeating t until she connects the que with the stretch and treat. But yeah it might take time but with proper clicker timing it might actually go quicker than expected (given you use a clicker when training). Someone else might have a better idea on how to teach this though.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Re: "Superman"/stretch trick? Any techniques or ideas?

Postby truste » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 pm

I never thought of just clicking without the cue and waiting for them to beg! Mine definitely is a begger.

I'm still currently working through the beginners tricks with my conure, so it'll probably be a while before I can attempt this trick, but I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind in the future.
truste
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Return to Parrot Trick Training