Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little difficulty in training my tiel

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Little difficulty in training my tiel

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi All,

I am training my tiel the 'wave' trick and 'wings' trick recently.She is target trained,friendly and good in stepping up on my finger.I start with these tricks,then with the above ones just to motivate her.During wave trick,she is just steps up when I keep my finger close to her.If i keep it at a distance,she is not doing anything.
And with the 'wings' trick,she dont like me to show my 2 fingers like that.She bites my finger telling she dont like it. Mostly she looks down searching her favorite millet.
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Little difficulty in training my tiel

Postby Polarn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm

As for wave it is harder but definitely not impossible with most smaller birds compared to larger simply because most larger birds use their feet a lot more for holding things etc. for example a larger bird hesitant to step up will usually grab your finger before it decides your intruding too much and bites.
As for the wings, well seeing how you state your bird is clipped at the side and given its age I would guess its a trust issue.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 am

Yes I have seen larger parrots holding their food in one leg and eating.This is not usual with my bird.I have observed that she is lifting her leg when I train but not to that 'wave' level.
She accepts me to touch her chest,legs,beak and head.When it comes to her back or tail feathers,she is not comfortable all the time.Sometimes she allows me and at other times she tries to move away.So I will wait for sometime and then train for 'wings'
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Wiki » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Snoopy_the cockatiel wrote:I have observed that she is lifting her leg when I train but not to that 'wave' level.

I would think that that's the level to mark then? To move Wiki from step up to wave, I clicked when he lifted his foot in anticipation of the step up to mark the foot lift. That got us moving toward the cue (voice / waving hand) being associated with lifting the foot and not stepping up. Shape it bigger from there?
Wiki
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Trick Training