Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

'Turn Around' cues

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

'Turn Around' cues

Postby Elizebird » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm

When I taught this to my old conure, I intended on twirling my index finger to be the cue along with me shouting "spin!" She eventually learned the trick cue as being moving my hand to the right side of her, since I made a little circle around her with a treat starting there.

When I started teaching it to my cockatoo, I taught it the same way, hoping for him to pick up the twirly finger as well, but ended up with him simply doing it to me just saying "spin!"

What does your bird cue to? XD
Tiger & Pantalaemon
Elizebird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: F. NG Cockatiel
M. Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (eleonora)
Flight: No

Re: 'Turn Around' cues

Postby Polarn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 am

either spinning the indexfinger or saying spin, doesnt matter really wich one or where i am in the room, I usually do both but every now and then I only do the visual or only the vocal. and either works fine.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Wayne361 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 am

At first used visual cue of finger turning while saying "turn around" I gradually reduced the visual cue and now only have to use verbal cue.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Wiki » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am

It depends on how motivated he is! If he's not hungry, and is just doing it to indulge me, then I have to be enthusiastic with gestures and intonation. Otherwise I can do one or the other. It's nice that Wiki indulges me :D
Wiki
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby Pyfe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Had her follow my hand with a treat all the way around while saying "turn around!", then without the treat, then I gradually decreased how much around my hand would go, then just pointing at her right, then solely verbal.
Pyfe
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot

Return to Parrot Trick Training