Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Three tricks in the shortest time

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Three tricks in the shortest time

Postby marie83 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Well I started with the ladder, he didn't bat an eyelid when I showed it to him. I laid it down to start with and targeted him near it a few time, targeted him over it laid flat. All of which he was fine with so we moved right on to standing the ladder up and targeting him to the bottom, putting one foot on it once then he was happy to do two feet straight after. Within the 10 minute session he was happily targeting to the top of the ladder and even finished with me tapping the top of the ladder once and using a cue word.
He did decide to flop onto his back a couple of times in the session though and ran up the ladder a couple of times without being targeted or cued but you can't expect miracles in 10 minutes. Very happy with how it went.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Eurycerus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm

That's adorable. I would love to see your little guy clambering around :] and flopping over!
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby marie83 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm

If I ever work out how then I will post the vids online somewhere. My bf filmed it in little chunks to make it look like it was filmed over a few days. Is that cheating? lol. Its my own fault for forgetting but I'm not suprised I did with what my lifes been like lately.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Well I haven't managed to get any training at all done since my last post on the 4th. Today I quickly ran through ladder again which he did perfectly, quite suprised since he has only had one training session on it 5 days ago!

We then started on getting him to run through a tube, he was a bit wary to be targetted through it to start with but was fine at the ends so I just encouraged him to stick his head in it to start off with. We ended 5 mins later with him running right through the tube with the cue but still being lured. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have needed the lure if I had another 10 minutes to work with him but I called time on the session as he started getting cranky.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 am

Completely forgot about this thread so I'm updating now, lifes been as chaotic as ever with very little going to plan.
In all I managed to train Ollie all 3 tricks in under 35 minutes in total. This was held over vavious days, sometimes with over a week in between sessions which was pretty ridiculous so I'm extremely impressed with Ollie given the circumstances.
The hardest thing to teach him way to run through the tube, he didn't like it (in comparison with other tricks, it was still pretty easy though) and if I'm honest its definitely his least favourite trick. As soon as I trained him to a fairly low standard for my liking I threw it all together with a few other tricks he knows, we did one practice run through the routine so I could see how well it was going to work and then filmed it for my assignment.

I would have liked not to have rushed it so much but given it was already weeks after the due in date I didnt have much choice, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I would like to have trained the turn around to a better standard, he is a bit all over the place with it- although he did much better in the practice run, almost running the length of the perch and fine tune a few other things but its all stuff I put into the evaluation of training methods etc. Still even though it wasn't the best training I've done, I'm still very proud of the results and I'm very lucky to have a pet that is so quick to catch on to new things.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 am

I have finally gotton around to doing something with my youtube channel so here is the vid of the end result of this assignment.
Please bear in mind it was a rush job training him so the results aren't perfect. It shows in him not waiting for the "tube"command at the start and also the "turn around" is rather messy, it was actually a lot tidier during training so I'm not sure if it was just the fact I was trying to string together a few tricks with only one practice run on top of the rushed training.

marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Andromeda » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Aw, thanks for posting this video, I love it! Ollie is so adorable! What a smart little bird. :gcc:

My favorite is the play dead trick! How did you teach it? I have a few books on clicker training and have read some different approaches but my GCC is kind of bratty sometimes (imagine that) and I'm having some trouble with it.

marie83 wrote:It shows in him not waiting for the "tube"command at the start

I think this is pretty common. Once a bird knows a prop behavior a lot of times the "cue" just becomes the sight of the prop. I tell my GCC "tube" as well but oftentimes he'll just run through it back and forth as fast as he can until he gets a treat.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby Eurycerus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 pm

I was wondering how this turned out. I love the video! You did a great job. The trick where you shoot him and he rolls onto his back in the cutest. Omg. I need to get back to focusing in trick training. I've been very lax lately and it shows :/
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby marie83 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you :) I am rather proud of it, especially as the training was rushed and interrupted.

The play dead I taught by following the instructions given by a person on here, Guy.G he has a youtube video link on here. Well I did the first part myself but once I got Ollie comfortable with lying on his back and being placed on a surface I had no idea where to go from there. I tried to google it but was just met with videos of people physically pushing or rolling the bird over, I didn't want to do that as I believe in giving the bird choice.

In using Guy.Gs' method Ollie could choose to move away from the action of being rolled over at any point he wished without having to resort to biting and because my hand wasn't covering his body I could see if there was any times he was becoming uncomfortable with the training.

How I started was by placing my hand over ollies back and rewarding
then I added a slight grip around his body
then I would pick him up, literally a centimeter and straight back down to start with and then build up the height/time.
Then I gradually bit by bit turned him so his back was facing down, I offered my finger on my other hand for him to grasp for security
The next step was to loosen my grip so he was on his back in the palm of my hand, he still had my finger to grip on to
next I worked on getting him to let go of my finger with one foot, then both

When he was fully comfortable lying in my hand, I gently started placing him on a soft surface on his back, letting him grip my finger at the same time, only for a second and let him roll himself back upright using my finger.
We then gradually increased time, then I only rewarded for gripping me with one foot, then only if he let go with both feet.

At this point I started googling before Guy.G came along as I had no idea how to get him to want to roll onto his back himself.
Whilst this whole process sounds really lengthy it really didnt take that long at all as Ollie was already pretty touch tame when we started. Hope this helps. Btw if you cant find Guys post let me know and I will try find it for you tomorrow.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm

marie83
Cockatoo