Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

has anyone else tried double rewarding

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: has anyone else tried double rewarding

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:25 pm

What's more exciting to get 2 little candies or a whole piece of cake?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Haha bandit always wants the whole cake but only get to dip his face in the seeds when he does good and he has a very good understanding of it
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm not to sure about the method of double treating in its affectiveness. If it works for you then great, but I tend to train on a progressive scale. Meaning, i gradually expect more out of the parrot as time goes on and reward accordingly. For example you mentioned the wave trick, at first I would reward with ANY raising of his foot. I would then reward through the best set of times he moved his foot higher on cue till he now raises his foot high and waves his toes as well. I ignore anything less and Oscar has caught on. I think Michael goes over this technique as well on his blog. Just makes sense to me and I have had great success with it.
What I will do from time to time is switch up his treats for more favourable ones for doing what I ask during non-training times. For example flying to me on cue outside of training will often, but not always, yield him a small piece of banana or grape (his favourite treats).
Again, if it works for you then great I am just offering my methodology for conversation sake.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Pricey_boy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 pm

It's worked really good with bandit he now knows a verbal and visual cue.when people reward small birds with sunflower seeds they have much smaller bodies than a cockatoo and so there getting larger amounts than bigger birds
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training