Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

has anyone else tried double rewarding

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

has anyone else tried double rewarding

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 am

recently ive been double rewarding like 2 sf seeds or a sf seed and a toy or a peanut or whatever you use, instead of behaviours i want to ignore while training i still reward but when they do the trick better or the way i want ive double rewarded. i dont know about anyone else but its proven to be very effective for me, when i was training harry to wave if he didnt get his foot all the way up id still reward so he wouldnt get frustrated and ignore me or fly away bu when he would lift his foot all the way up and on cue i would double reward.

also when i was teaching bandit to fly to me on the jumps where he was scared i would offer 2 sunflower seeds and he would do it without hesitation
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet
Flight: Yes

Re: has anyone else tried double rewarding

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:38 am

I don't think giving two treats at the same time is particularly effective since the bird can still eat only one at a time. Instead, if I want to give a mega-reward I give a sunflower seed or whole almond. Another very effective strategy for making treats more effective is to progressively use smaller and smaller treats. So instead of breaking an almond in half or even quarters, I break down into sixteenths or less. If I want to make a big reward, I can give a bigger piece of almond or a whole almond to signify something outstanding. I think two treats is more confusing and inconvenient for the parrot to deal with.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 am

my corella bandit seams to pick up on things in half the time with extra treats and if he thinks he did the right thing during training and doesnt get rewarded hell get frustrated and start trying to fight lloyd or will get bored of training but when i reward for doing the wrong thing and double reward for the right thing he could go all day
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 am

BTW im watching 1 of your youtube videos as im typing , the early flock dynamics
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 am

I use the same method as Michael, either big and smaller pieces or I change the reward to something the bird wants more. Say I use apple as a reward for responses which are there but aren't brilliant then I get a really good response to the command they might then get a bigger piece of apple or a sunflower seed instead for example.

The only time I double reward is I might give a quick head scratch after the treat has been eaten but its not an intentional double reward.
I've never really thought about a double reward but now its in my head my initial though would be that my birds probably wouldnt associate the second reward with the trick as one you have given the first bit of food they are either focusing on the food or what your going to ask them to do next rather than "oh I got another treat, that must mean I did really well"

Horses for courses obviously, if this is working better for you then I would say just carry on with it.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

but whats the difference between small pieces of apples for ok performance and a bigger piece of apple for good performance than 1 sunflower seed to 2 sunflower seeds for better performance
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:30 am

Nothing other than they get it all at once and dont get chance to get distracted and "forget" the link between behaviour and 2nd treat. Like I said though I have never intentionally double rewarded, so its just my initial thought on the matter, doesn't mean I'm saying I'm right or wrong.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

ok thanks for the reply living with birds and training them is alot easier when you have people givving there own POV and experiences.

when im giving the second reward i mean giving it to them at the same time so its more like a larger portion than a second treat
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Postby marie83 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am

Oohhh lol, I thought you meant one after the other. All my birds have been too small to give them two treats in 1 go, they cant hold them both.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Pricey_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Bandit dips his whole face into the seed bowl scoops them up and stores about 3 seeds under his tongue while eating 1 so he can push them out and eat them 1 after another
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training