Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Absolutely amazing,Chief sticking out his tongue on command!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Absolutely amazing,Chief sticking out his tongue on command!

Postby Dave & Karen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:03 pm

That's a really cool trick!.. I'm wondering if I can get our parrotlet to learn this one too (he's very smart and learns fast)... We also have an IRN but she needs to get settled in much better before we can start teaching her things. Right now the biggest problem we have with the IRN is that she's very scared of our hands, but she's tame otherwise. Do you have any tips on how to help her overcome that fear of hands?
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:26 pm

marie83 wrote:aw that is so cute. Glad to see you back on the forums :)

Agreed, I think you should stick around! Just because alot of people didnt reply, doesnt mean it wasnt a really good post. I think I wrote that I thought it was great, but stitch or leroy arent ready to train this trick yet.
That might also be a reason for the low ammount of replies, its a very hard trick, which requires your parrot to be extremely tame and used to grabbing etc, which isnt the case for many people!
Last edited by cml on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Guy G, I agree with the others tht you should stick around this forum. like cml's birds, mine are not ready for either the play dead trick or the stick your tongue out trick, but I totally enjoyed watching these videos not only because your bird is adorable, but because these are tricks i'd like to teach my gcc in the future, when he is ready, and your video really encouraged me to think that hey, this might be something i could do after all. (btw i posted a thanks to your other video about two weeks ago, on the other thread :) ) about the play dead video, cml is right:
cml wrote:might also be a reason for the low ammount of replies, its a very hard trick, which requires your parrot to be extremely tame and used to grabbing etc, which isnt the case for many people!

so young Chief is a role model for a lot of birds here - we all look up to him! :) keep up the great work!
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby Guy.G. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Pricey_boy
I taught Chief "wings" trick with Michael's vid but with few adjustments:
The best thing to do is just touching his wings at the far edges and then click and reward, by doing so, it would b imposable for him to bite u.
After a day or two he would understand that u r not going to harm him/ his wings and then u can start lifting the wings higher and higher and move your fingers closer towards his head (front of the body) when u r lifting them.
!Remember! When it comes to gaining full trust from your parrot it is your patience that's being tested, not your parrots'…

Dave & Karen
I don't think that there's a better way than "spoil" the parrot/giving her treats from your hand and cautiously build a bond between u and her. It also depends in the age of the parrot, if u r the first owner and the "quality" of the taming…

And to everyone here- thank you for your heart warming words, like I said- I'm always here and I'm happy to help the training community :)
Don't forget that Chief is my first pet so I have very little experience..all I did was (and is of course) reading A LOT and asking all that came to mind regarding healthy raising, food, toys and all the things that will make Chief's life fun. I guess I managed to implement all of that info in the best way possible, so I thank all the ppl that I learned from :)
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck

Postby Dave & Karen » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 am

Yes, that's exactly how I gained Blue's trust so quickly and got him on the road to learning tricks, he's only 6 months old but very willing to learn, Baby, our IRN is also only 6 months old but we just adopted her a week ago and she's definitely got a fear of hands, I can rub her beak with my nose no problem, but if I even barely move my hand she gets very defensive. We're both working with her using no touch bonding and taming right now, and mostly keeping her inside the cage and just talking too her and answering her calls etc, we've had her out of the cage a few times but it's very stressful for her coming out and going back in the cage, but she's fine once she's out and perched... we're just taking it slow with her and keeping things as stress free as possible until she comes around. We are her second owners as well so there's still a lot of "culture shock" she's slowly getting used to.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Lol, that's funny, never seen that trick before...
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Nir » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:12 am

hey i sent you a pm. please reply. awesome videos!
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby AmberH » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Oh cool this is the first I have seen that how unique!
AmberH
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus: red-sided male
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training