Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Absolutely amazing,Chief sticking out his tongue on command!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Absolutely amazing,Chief sticking out his tongue on command!

Postby Guy.G. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:25 pm

After I taught Chief the "play dead" trick I stopped teaching him new tricks and started harness training, but, 2 weeks ago he cleaned his beak and for some reason he took out his tongue a few times so I tried to seize the opportunity and teach him to stick it out on command.....30 min' later he got the idea and from there all I needed is to practice the cue..3-4 days after he knew the trick perfectly (knowing the verbal & vocal command, not doing the trick unless I give the exact command and/or mixing the trick with other tricks that he knows etc.)
As of now Chief knows to wave, turn around, wings, flight recall, lay on his back, bat, play dead, summersault and stick out his tongue :)
If the attachment doesn't work, this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaI_xKn7F-I

Guy.G.
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Absolutely amazing,Chief sticking out his tongue on command!

Postby marie83 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:30 pm

aw that is so cute. Glad to see you back on the forums :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Guy.G. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:59 pm

thx for the kind words!

I'm always here to check if someone needs my help with my posts but I'm not gonna lie to u, it was very disappointing to work sooo hard on my play dead guide and seeing 300+ views and only 4-5 comments…that trick is one of the most (if not the most) impressive parrot tricks ever and because of that- the few ppl that taught their parrot that trick kept the method to themselves.
I wonder how many ppl would have said those 2 magical words-"thank u", if Michael was the one who released my guide...
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Postby terri » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:12 pm

very cute ! Looks like you have a good relationship if he can do all those tricks :D Does he talk
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby marie83 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Were the views on here or youtube? I should think that the majority of views on here were done on guest accounts because I tend to leave the forums running in the background whilst I'm working and check reguarly to see if there are any new posts. It always seems to be the same few people who are logged on and the majority are guests, in which case they wont be able to post unless they sign up. Possibly the same thing on youtube that people cannot comment unless they have an account but can view videos.

Please dont be disheartened by it. :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pricey_boy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the vid
I could teach my lorikeets that trick coz their tongues stick out so far that they can reach the bottom treys through the bottom bars and they stick their tongues out every day coz that's how they eat
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby Guy.G. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 am

terri wrote:very cute ! Looks like you have a good relationship if he can do all those tricks :D Does he talk

After all the things he learned it’s funny to say that he's only 9 months old so he still doesn’t talk but I knew how I would teach him. so, when he started whistling we encouraged him to do so but 2 weeks later, whenever he whistled we didn't answered him or whistled back, instead- we said 1 of few basic things we want him to learn in a way that sounds like a whistle and it worked..u could've actually see him working on making his whistles sound like the words we r saying to him, today his whistles r most impressive and a week ago we started to hear him whistles like the phrase "good morning"- something that he does a lot but, right after that- he did it again but it was a new sound that really sounds like speaking voice!! With each passing day the voice becomes clearer so it's only a matter of time until he'll start blabbering :)
I should've film that…every time he did it, it was a whistle and then the new speaking voice and a direct look at us like he is really want to say-guy's look at me..I'm doing it!!!!
Those natural things that they do r the funniest, like "superman" that I'll start trying to teach him and something as cute as taking out his tongue- I was a bit surprised to see that there r no YouTube vid's for that specific trick- that trick hilarious!!! how did no one ever tried to teach his parrot that trick??? Hope to see some vid's with more parrots doing that :)
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Postby Guy.G. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 am

terri wrote:very cute ! Looks like you have a good relationship if he can do all those tricks :D Does he talk

After all the things he learned it’s funny to say that he's only 9 months old so he still doesn’t talk but I knew how I would teach him. so, when he started whistling we encouraged him to do so but 2 weeks later, whenever he whistled we didn't answered him or whistled back, instead- we said 1 of few basic things we want him to learn in a way that sounds like a whistle and it worked..u could've actually see him working on making his whistles sound like the words we r saying to him, today his whistles r most impressive and a week ago we started to hear him whistles like the phrase "good morning"- something that he does a lot but, right after that- he did it again but it was a new sound that really sounds like speaking voice!! With each passing day the voice becomes clearer so it's only a matter of time until he'll start blabbering :)

I should've film that…every time he did it, it was a whistle and then the new speaking voice and a direct look at us like he is really want to say-guy's look at me..I'm doing it!!!!

Those natural things that they do r the funniest, like "superman" that I'll start trying to teach him and something as cute as taking out his tongue- I was a bit surprised to see that there r no YouTube vid's for that specific trick- that trick hilarious!!! how did no one ever tried to teach his parrot that trick??? Hope to see some vid's with more parrots doing that :)
Guy.G.
Lovebird

Postby Pricey_boy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:24 am

That superman one your talking about I just started teaching to my corella bandit a few days ago he hasn't really picked up on it but he will since he does it every 5 mins.also do you have a tutorial vid for the wings trick I have no problems with larger birds but can't seem to get it with the smaller ones
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby EleriDragonfly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm

That'd adorable, he's a clever little guy.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training