Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where should I start fight harness training...

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Where should I start fight harness training...

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:42 pm

I want to train Oliver, my African grey, to wear his flight harness. I have read Michael's article on flight harness training Kili. Oliver isn't really afraid of the harness, he just doesn't like it. He doesn't fly from it, (He is flighted) but he has no desire to wear it. He will chew on the strap material. I'm not sure where to start the training process. He is very hand tame, although sometime nippy. He knows how to step up and target. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Jake
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Where should I start fight harness training...

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm

It doesn't matter that he's not scared of it. Follow the process regardless or he WILL BE SCARED of it.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby marie83 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Just to add to what Michael said, I don't think it matters that he doesn't like it provided he isn't actually scared or nervous of it and he doesn't become scared of it.
As long as you take it really slow and follow Michaels guide I'm sure you will be fine.
Make sure your bird is 100% fine with being touched and having his wings handled before you start or you will run into problems.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I have had the harness for a while, and I have slightly introduced the harness to him during a few training sessions. He doesn't seem to be afraid of it but more curious. He wants to chew on it. I'm really not sure how to deal with that behavior. I have followed Michael's guide up to the point of targeting the parrot around and eventually to the harness. (I think I failed to fully explain this in my initial post.) I'm unsure as how to transition to the next step, actually placing the harness around his neck, without first addressing the problem behavior of wanting to chew the harness.

I apologize for making this post sound as if I had never introduced the harness to Oliver.
Jake
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, African grey

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:04 pm

The parrot needs to be more focused on training than play. This is why it's good to teach a few tricks and behaviors beforehand as practice. If the bird is a very young baby and too young to train, then you may be able to get away with just sticking it on (until it gets older).
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training