Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:16 pm

I was going to skip Nichola's vet visit this year. He hates to be captured and crated. He hates the ride in the car. I figured it wasn't worth the stress and I was going to start bringing him every other year.

The problem is, he was looking real skinny. His keel bone is very pronounced. I decided to take him in.

The vet agreed that his keel bone was very pronounced, and he is losing muscle in the breast. His weight was actually up slightly, from 274 to 279, I think. Up five grams no matter what the numbers were, so largely unchanged. He has been with me for a year, and his diet is better here, more beans and grains to go with his fruits and veggies. He eats his gloop so well, he barely touches his pellets. He eats nutriberries and pistachios, too.

She said his feather and beak condition were great, the physical exam was good, and his blood work was good. He has slightly elevated WBC but still within the normal range. My birds always have this because it takes almost an hour In Traffic to get to the vet, and they're stressed by the time the blood is taken.

So now they want to do radiographs. I'm not sure exactly why. I'm waiting for a callback. I don't know what they're looking for or what they expect to find, or rule out.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 am

Nick clipped off 7 of his tail feathers yesterday. They were all clipped off about half way down. I'm wondering if we ended up bending or breaking those feathers in all the catching/holding that was involved with the vet visit.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 am

Talked to the vet today. I'm going to take him for these radiographs once he calms down from the last visit
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am

I think the vet wants to see if everything is where it's supposed to be and of the right size and shape. If the weight is pretty much the same but the keel bone is more prominent, it means that he is not flying enough because the bulk on either side of the keel bone is either muscle or fat...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Nicky pulled all his tail feather out while I was out getting a bigger cage for Irwin. It's such an odd place to pluck.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 am

Plucking his whole butt. It seems odd for a 20-30 year old bird to start plucking now. Plus it seems like a strange spot.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 am

Linus Too and Mami Zon both pluck their tails... the feathers don't even grow anymore in Mami's. I think he is too stressed out, John. I was very surprised to read that he's still scared of you after a whole year in your home - does he have anybody that he has bonded to in your house?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 am

He prefers women.

I'm always the one who has to scoop him up if he need to be handled for any reason, and he hold it against me. He is very social and loves interaction, he just does not want to be touched, at all, by anyone.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 am

Yeah, that was the problem I had with Pookey. She had always preferred men and, although she had learned to like me after a couple of years here, she never forgave me for having to towel her when she got spooked in the birdroom... She is doing well in her new home, by the way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am

Pajarita wrote:Yeah, that was the problem I had with Pookey. She had always preferred men and, although she had learned to like me after a couple of years here, she never forgave me for having to towel her when she got spooked in the birdroom... She is doing well in her new home, by the way.

I'm glad to hear about Pooky.

Ocean plucked more yesterday. I guess it's all where a broods patch would be? She is 3 1/2 years old.

She tends to pluck when I'm away for the day. I suppose I could try taking her with me to the rescue, but it's such a long time in the car.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care