Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 am

I don't use either. I don't think that RPO is necessary at all when a bird eats a good diet and it might end up being actually harmful if too much is taken and I would never give any of my animals anything that is practically all saturated fat like coconut oil... But, aside from that, I don't think that Nicky's problem is a dietary deficiency.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 am

I don't either, but his skin is so red in spots. I'm just giving him the avicalm and waiting it out. He gets a fair amount of nuts, so I doubt he needs more oil.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am

Well, it's no wonder that his skin is red if he is pulling feathers out - I would imagine that our scalp would look quite red too if we pulled our hair out by the root! But we are talking about a completely external irritation and, if it worries you, you should treat it externally. I would recommend your steeping 2 tablespoons of old-fashioned, organic oatmeal and a bag of chamomille tead overnight in about two cups of hot water, then, in the morning, add a small splash of aloe vera juice (remember to get the one from the 'inner filet' and not the 'whole leaf') and use this for his bath - but ONLY if getting sprayed is not stressful to him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:44 pm

I worry when he bathes in the water that has the avicalm in it. I hope it doesn't leave a sticky residue on him.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Nicky climbed down off of his cage and up onto oceans cage. She was on top of hers. They were just looking at each other by the time I got over there. He flew off when I got to him.

Neither bird seemed angry or upset, but I wonder what would have happened if I didn't get over there.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 am

If they were going to fight it would have happened as soon as he climbed on her cage. They have seen and talked to each other all along. It was like visiting someone for the first time.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 am

liz wrote:If they were going to fight it would have happened as soon as he climbed on her cage. They have seen and talked to each other all along. It was like visiting someone for the first time.

He used to go after her when she landed on his cage.

I just get so worried beciase of the size difference.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am

Yes, size difference is one thing that I worry about and that's why the medium to small birds are downstairs while the bigger ones are in the birdroom upstairs - I even keep the canaries and finches in still another room because even the small and medium parrots are bigger than the canaries. When I move back home, I will have three birdrooms with two of them separated from the main human living area by sliding doors so I can see what's going on in them. Having said that, I've never had a gray attack another bird though... not once. They seem to prefer to keep to themselves even though they do enjoy having other birds around.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 am

Ocean had her belly growing back in, and then last night she pulled out all the feathers, again. She pulled out a feather while she was sitting on my knee. It was a small feather, still had the sheath a bit at the base, and seemed to be disintegrating. When it touched it down at the base, it was kind of wet and breaking down. I'm wondering if this is just a bad feather, or if it could be a sign of something. She has a couple of flight feather coming in and they look okay right now.

I'm also wondering if, after plucking, they need more protein because so many feather start coming in at once.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:41 am

She's also biting at her feet. It's frustration. She is going to get the avicalm, too.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care