Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 am

:lol: Poor babies were hungry for their breakfast! And how wonderful that they trust you so much they actually mobbed you! I bet Rainbow and Myrtle think that the neighbor' tiels are some of theirs that got away...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

Rainbow can't fly and does not like the Tiels because they can. Rainbow also is not happy that they sing and she doesn't. To compete with them he turned Happy Birthday into opera. Took me a good while to figure out what song he was singing.

My daughter has had my laundry room tied up for about a week now. I decided to just take my laundry to my son's and do it there. I went out the back door with my basket and in his back door. When I closed the door behind me, I heard a familiar sound. Myrtle made a little noise to let me know she was still on me. That scared the boogers out of me. I put her in a cardboard box to bring her back. When I opened the box at home she did not get out. She gave me a look like "where did the other room go".

I was kissing with Jackie this morning when Andy came up to see at a distance of about an inch. He almost got pulled into the kisses. He will be my next kisser.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

GO ANDY!!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:01 am

The funniest part is that he will leave Maggie just long enough to find out what is going on and how come Jackie is getting more attention.

I had put a soda carton where Maggie and Andy were trying to nest. I have 6 fake eggs but will buy more for the next nesters.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 am

If people who have only one cockatiel could see them the way you have them: in a little flock, interacting with one another and living cage-free, I bet they would rethink their own bird's situation...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

I agree. Very few allow for such freedom.

I figured I would just have a flock that the refugees could hide in. That is what they do when the get into the room but it does not stay that way. Each one knows his name and interacts with me in some way except for Louise. Each one has a different personality that I have learned except for Louise who wants non of me and usually stays as far as possible.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:54 pm

It's because she is still young and, as such, insecure. She will become more self-assured and learn to trust you even more than the others, I bet!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:53 am

Yesterday evening I had to keep pushing Andy and Jackie away from me. They wanted to eat from the scoop before I could put seed down. I feed them on the floor and have to get on my knees to do it since I don't bend very well.

I have a big serving tray for their food to try to keep the shells in one place. It does not work but the tray does allow for all of them to eat at at once. That is a sight. I see 11 little bird backs all on the tray.

This morning I was used as a landing pad. I felt 3 pair of feet on my back. I tried to see which ones were missing from my sight to know who they were but they just move around too much.

While cleaning Rainbows cage (the cage is where she keeps stuff she doesn't want Myrtle to get) she had to go to the bottom to make sure I did not take any good stuff.

I had a hamster that knew the day of the week that I changed his cage. He would pick up his good stuff (chicken bone and toys) and put them behind his tissue box house so I would not see it. I always put the stuff back and he would spread it out again when he decided it was clean enough.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 am

The flight cage the Tiels have in their room has 6 doors. I have put platforms outside each door. Yesterday, while talking to Phoenix in the lower part of the cage, Andy came out on a platform above me and pulled my hair. When I looked up at about 3 inches from me he came to the edge to talk about it. I asked him if he wanted a kiss and he stood still for a kiss but then backed up a few steps. When I asked him again he stepped forward then did his backup again.

The joy of cockatiels is amazing.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:40 am

I agree! They are incredibly sweet, entertaining and so very easy to love! I do miss having some and there are so many in CL, poor things!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care